1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Gas smell in oil

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Glen F., May 4, 2021.

1. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Ya, so I put the spring on the wrong side. Seems to have solved the problem. I've said it to myself before, ssllloooowww down!

2. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Went into the garage where the bike is, and there was a very strong gas smell. I had left a paper towel underneath the carbs overnight, just to make sure there were no leaks. The paper towel was a little damp, but not soaked. Took the carbs off again, and noticed that all 4 boots to the engine were wet inside. Is this normal?

3. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Took the carbs apart again. Took some 1000 wet/dry to the part where the rod goes through the float. See if that helps.
    I don't understand why after I had them in and not flooding, and after a short ride, they would slowly flood overnight.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Because the dealer is selling/swapping the incorrect float valve assemblies for you. Almost all sellers of aftermarket carb rebuild kits (or just the float valve needle/seat units) are selling the wrong parts for the HSC32/33 series carbs.....they may fit some Hitachi carbs, but I sure don't know which ones. I believe the problem is that they are too long, and this unfavorably interacts with the geometry of the float movement , so that sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't (they seize up within the bore as the float tries to lift them, since the extra length causes the floats to push upwards and forwards at the same time on the needle, and this is what causes the problems..........we used to carry these aftermarket valve units a LONG time ago (2010 ?) and we would have these same problems....unpredictable and somewhat random.

k-moe, Glen F. and Franz like this.
  5. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Thanks Len, but these are original parts on the carbs except for the needles and seats I purchased from you. The only thing that I purchased from elsewhere were the gaskets, and I don't think they are the problem because of where the are in relation to the floats. I filled the carbs again last night, and they were fine on the bench sitting level. I'll change the oil again today and see what happens when I put them back in.

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Hi Glen, are you sure that you purchased those from us? I can't seem to find where you ordered any carb parts from us.

7. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Sorry Len. I did get the needles and seats from a local Yamaha dealer. My bad. The floats are original though.

8. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Went back in again. Found that two of the seats had come loose a bit. Tightened them up. Measured again and all good (hopefully)

9. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Bench wet level before they go back in.

Attached Files:

10. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Had everything as good as I can get them, but as soon as I put them back in the bike, they flood. Not all and not the same carb evey time. Took them out again. Took the floats out and hit them with some 1000 wet/dry on the sides and through the posts. Not sure what else to do. Help!

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Is it possible the head pressure from the auxilliary tank is higher because it is on the handlebar. When the bike's fuel tank is on the pipe is much shorter. Probably won't make any difference but I am throwing the idea in anyway. What are you doing differently when you wet set them compared to when they are on the bike?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Glen F. likes this.
  12. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Really not doing anything different. Have the same problem if I have a hanging tank or use the bikes.

13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Looks the same as the illustration although this is from the 900f Haynes manual.

16238008938671640832069558465740.jpg

Glen F. likes this.
  14. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

It's the same. 3mm below the lip.
    Just benched them again. All good. Put the on the bike. All good. Going to tighten the boots and go for a spin. See what happens after that.

15. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Hope it's ok. However the manual states for my 900f engine (and assuming all the XJ's are the same) 4mm to 6mm is within the range, in other words 5mm plus or minus 1mm. If yours is 3mm could that be the cause?

Glen F. likes this.
  16. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Edge of carb level 3mm below per spec.

17. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

All XJs are not the same, as there are several carb models from two different manufacturers used throughout the range.

Glen's fuel levels are to be 3 mm below the bowl top +/- 1mm.

Glen F. and Franz like this.
  18. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Did they have those in stock, or did you hav to wait two weeks for them to come in?
    What packaging did they come in?

I still suspect that they are not the right needles, though if your last bit of work fixed the problem it won't matter.

Did you use the crush washer that goes between the seat and the carb body?

19. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

I left a picture a few replies back. Pretty sure they are correct, but have a look.

20. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

No, they were not in stock. Yes I used a crush washer. Had the bike running. Synced 3&4 then ran out of gas. Topped it up and it flooded 1. Just talked to a buddy, and he tells me the carbs have to be exact when they are put back in, or they will have problems. Attached is the package the needles and seats came in.

Attached Files: