1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ900rk Spark Plug discrepancy

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MrSeca, Jun 14, 2021.

1. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I looked through 4 different sources regarding the spark plugs specifically for the 1983 xj900rk and here's what I found:

Yamaha Owners Manual
    NGK BP8ES

Haynes
    NGK BPR8ES

Yamaha Service Manual
    NGK BPR8ES

XJ4Ever
    BP8ES

So who's right? Two for resistive and two for non-resistive plugs. XJ4Ever says that for the xj900rk model there should be a total of 5k ohms resistance between the plug wire, plug caps, and spark plugs. I couldn't locate that specific information in the other three manuals.

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

He's right, 5kohms max, so have resistor caps or resistor plugs - not both.
    I don't think the xj is especially sensitive to plug types though, provided they are in the right heat range. Be careful of Chinese copies.....

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

In Canada Bpr8es
    USA bp8es

k-moe and MrSeca like this.
  4. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

So, I originally had resistant plugs AND caps for a total of 10k ohm resistance which is how I purchased my xj900 off the original owner. I decided to go with the non-resistant plugs as an experiment to see if there was any difference. The answer is an absolute YES! For one the bike starts RIGHT UP! Before when I hit the ignition the bike would turn over for a solid second or two before firing. It also had a lot of trouble starting when warm. Both of those issues have disappeared. Engine feels smoother and has a "crisp" response to opening up the throttle especially at higher speeds. Before, it seemed there was an ever so slight hesitation before the bike would accelerate. Next test is to see if it improved my mpg. We shall see.

5. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Those wondering if my mpg has improved and the answer is a resounding YES! After a combination of canyon, city, and freeway riding I got 43mpg! The best I ever got before was 39 and I usually averaged somewhere between 35-37. I really think these numbers will improve with better tires. I'm running cheap Shinkos at the moment plus I invested in some Dynatek coils. In any case, from my experience the correct plugs and caps do make a difference.