1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

going to change my own tires got some questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by XJ550H, Jun 23, 2021.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have watched a few youtube videos all say to use windex when breaking the bead and setting the bead.
    I got a set of irons and protectors.
    one vodeo shows using c clamps to break the bead looks like it will work well.
    has any one used the harbor freight bead breaker on MC tires (55$)
    I can get the c clamps there too for 6$ each using 3 of them.

should i use windex to set the bead or get a gallon of tire lube ?

what do you tire changers use ?

may pick up a balancer too. I saw one for 60$ on line just balances not a truer.

Jetfixer likes this.
  2. tj.

tj. Active Member

Been changing my own tires on many different types of bikes for several years now. The XJ wheels are very straight forward...cast wheels and no tubes. I use the zip tie method (big wide ones from HF)...lots of vids on it as well.

I've used windex, soap/water, tire lube etc. Not a fan of the windex (dries too quick and I don't think the ammonia is good for rubber) I like the soap/water because it's cheap and easy, can't go wrong with tire lube sold at auto stores (Murphys etc). Whatever you decide to use...use plenty of it (slippy is good).

I thought of getting a bead breaker but a 6" C clamp or two is easier to store and combined with a couple of spoons IMHO works just as well.

I bought a tusk stand years ago from rmatv...I use it to static balance and I use it to measure runout (with a dial gauge on a magnetic stand) and make adjustment to spokes etc. I think it was about $40, a few years ago...can't be too much more now.

80% technique, 15% tools and 5% effort is the rule of thumb.

k-moe and XJ550H like this.
  3. ksigurdsen

ksigurdsen Member

When I was a much younger fellow, I changed my own tires, too, using the spoons and edge protectors. It wasn't difficult. Now that I'm older, I found an independent motorcycle repair shop. I brought in the wheels, the guy removed the old tires, mounted the new tires I provided, and balanced them for $25 / each.

4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I have the HF bead breaker. I still try my bench vise and c-clamps 1st as the bead breaker is stored in the mezzanine above my garage. I had to get it out a month ago changing the rear on my KLR, it wasn’t coming off the bead with the vise.
    I use watered soap for lube.
    I know you’re not dealing with tubes but anytime you do this little tool is helpful 76F2EA6E-A3E6-4253-ADC8-EB2292977DF8.jpeg

5. XJ550H

we have just 1 guy intown who will do tires you purchased off of the internet. open mon through friday 8 to 4 .
    takes a week to get tires mounted and balanced
    i need to change 6 tires , so I think I want to do it myself and spend the money on equipment.
    I have a set of spoons
    so just need a balancer setup

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if you use "windex" or something make it the foamy kind, it stays put better. soapy water works good too, i'm just to lazy to go get it.
    the whole trick is to keep the bead, opposite where your working, down in the center of the rim.
    if your balancing it yourself, do the wheel first by itself, mark the light spot and use that for the tire dot

7. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I have found that ArmorAll does a good job also. I made my bead breaker that I use for auto and motorcycle tires. Some heavy steel and a little welding and trial and error. Much easier to just buy something that works. When working with tube tires be very careful or you can very easily pinch a tube -- I learned that the hard and expensive way.

Jetfixer likes this.
  8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i saw a bead breaker made from a 2x4 and a wedge bolted to a garage wall stud. when done it folded up next to the stud....gone

XJ550H likes this.
  9. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Member

Getting off no problem. Rear tire went on well rear seated fine. Front tire another story , hard to seat. Yikes, resorted to starting fluid and a match. Wheel jumped about 6 inches. Not recommended but worked for me. Now have 900km on tires no problem balanced them too. Shinko, my second set, first went on a xs.
    good luck

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Do a bit more homework. There are some things that only become evident with experience, and the fells that contributed to the linked thread have a lot of experience (including changing tires while on a trip).
    Neduro's Tire Changing Class

The initial posts are about tubed tires, but continue reading for more about changing tubeless.

My bead breaker is me. Stepping on the edge of the deflated tire (valve core out) usually does the trick. Be sure to support the rim with 2x4, especially if you have dual discs on the front.

I tend to steer people away from using anything but tire lube when replacing a tire. All of the substitutes have downsides that just aren't good for the long-term servicability of aluminum wheels. Corrosion of the rim being chief among them.
    A bottle of tire lube will last you almost forever, especially if you spring for a terrycloth applicator.
    I use, Tire Changer Bead Lube Concentrate For Mounting/Demount MAKES OVER 1/2 GALLON mainly because it takes up a lot less shelf space than buying premixed.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Franz likes this.
  11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Tire lube + bouncing the tire on the ground usually will get the bead to set enough that air will finish the job of seating it.
    If not then use a ratcheting tiedown strap around the circumfrence of the tire.

It's best to fill the tire without the valve core when you're seating the bead so you get as much air in as quickly as possible. A "air dump" can be made from 3" schedule 40 PVC, a ball valve, and a few fittings. There should be an example in the thread I linked above. If not, just let me know and I'll see if I saved the plans.

12. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

13. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Local yammy shop here won’t mount anything tire not purchased from them. “It’s a liability if it’s not one we sold”o_O

XJ550H likes this.
  14. XJ550H

yup "how do we know it wasn't a reject tire or how old it is ?sorry liability our insurance wont allow us to mount them"
    if they didnt rape you on the markup of the tires I would buy them there.

15. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The date of manufacture should be on the tyres shouldn't it.

16. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

It’s where I get my tires from...... and mounted/balanced—- but I take the rim to them. I’m not gonna pay them to remove or install the wheel.... lol

17. XJ550H

yes it is. just excuses because of the low profit on changing tires

18. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I change my own tyres too. My cousin said his motorcycle club bought a tyre changing machine everyone uses which is good.

19. XJ550H

removed my first tire yesterday. have to clean the inside of the rim.
    tire was a very old perilli cracks in side walls tread coming off from from tire . rubber was very hard,
    very odd wear pattern center was high sides were very low it was like the bike was ridden in circles all the time.
    need to replace the wheel bearings . speedo side is very worn.

I used a bar clamp so I could get my 6 inch c clamps on tire. broke loose as soon as i applied some lube the bead then spin the tire on rim and both beads were free.
    used 3 tire irons first side came over rim easy enough second was a bit harder spun the tire and it slid up and over the rim once i got about1/3 of it over the rim.

put rim on a makeshift balancer. a couple of jack stands leveled off . valve stem was always returning to bottom as expected

went to harbor fright and picked up some 8 inch clamps 7$ each. for the next tire.

tj. likes this.
  20. XJ550H

wheel weight question. I did notice on my rims with oem wheel weights there was all ways 3 weights which are 3 different sizes.

all the videos on balancing use 1 weight static balancing I think its called. are the 3 weights from spin balancing?

which weights are better the clip style or the glue on style? local auto parts store has both styles.