1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Electrical Problem Suspect Voltage Regulator

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Dark-Farmer, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Dark-Farmer

Dark-Farmer Member

Awesome thanks 78, you've been super helpful!!
    I'll get moving on this stuff and update with results, hopefully soon.

2. Dark-Farmer

Dark-Farmer Member

Ok Gentlemen
    I have the regulator in hand, getting the battery tomorrow.

I sourced a clip from a local auto parts store. It's a Deutsch clip.
    I'm not happy with it, it's rated for 16ga wire; but I suspect 1 of the wires might be 14ga ...
    Plus it was super expensive, like $42.
    I was thinking of returning it.

I was thinking I should just order the proper clip.
    I just need the female end as the male end on the regulator is a "new"

I was thinking of just using 8 individual insulated crimps; to get road worth till a new clip comes.
    What do you guys feel about this
    *pics of what I was thinking attached*
    *pics are the old regulator FYI*
    20210706_191048.jpg 20210706_191057.jpg 20210706_191310.jpg

3. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

There is 3 wires in that connector that will generate heat, the 3 a/c voltage output from the stator, the RR is suposed to be the source for cooling this issue as it does its rect/reg job, its internally grounded to the aluminum finned heat sink. Airflow is not always optimal in their oem mount positions so they overheat allowing the connector to melt. As you see there are several reasons why that connector can do what it did to you. That being said, you should now understand why I'm going to say no! to your suggested idea of connection, you can use any number of "pigtail" connectors for this, but it must have a "firm" and preferably weather tight connection. You can get what's called Delphi Weather Pack connectors and are top notch. Such as a 3position, and a 4 position (2)connectors to complete this job.

I'm not sure what kind of connector you were charged that much for but here is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/VIGRUE-Water...f86b5&pd_rd_wg=k1ikF&pd_rd_i=B08QMYJX22&psc=1

4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Not to hijack but how well do those hold up for you? I've been using Delphi (now Aptiv) Weatherpack connectors from Waytek for over a decade now and they are considerably more expensive than that set. Whenever I see a description like "Water Resistend Truck Harness Plug Car Spark Plug Connector" I'm a little put off.

5. Mechanic1978

These are the Delphi manufactured, just unbranded from third party retailers. You can see the green case seal, and the orange wire cavity seals, I buy the larger kits of 2 to 3000 piece, but this is still way better quality than any factory connector on most bikes. I use them whenever needed (often) for cars, trucks, bikes, atv etc...

I would stand by them, however part of it is the installer...

6. Dark-Farmer

Dark-Farmer Member

Battery order.
    My local battery shop just sold the last matching battery, my luck.
    Should have it in a few days though.

That kit isn't available in Canada and for the life of me I just CAN'T find a bloody 8 pin connector on amazon ".ca"
    I did come across this on walmart.ca
    https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Nylon-...Male-Female-for-18-14AWG-Wire/PRD6KFALU5SLVS5
    I sware that's the same clip as the original .... Should I give it a shot?

7. Dark-Farmer

Dark-Farmer Member

Nevermind looking closer it's a little different.
    Still might be a good replacement.

8. Dark-Farmer

Dark-Farmer Member

9. Mechanic1978

Search for "weatherpack connector" or "Delphi connector". you can use 2 connectors or one your choice. Not sure what you mean not avail in Canada aye!

International Shipping with Amazon
    If you're from the U.S. and want to ship to Canada, you can have Amazon U.S. ship to Canada. If you're from Canada, you can hire Amazon Canada fulfillment services to pack and ship your orders.

Thats on their site....

Try this ...

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/25472962945...4%2FLDN%2FWX1Ve2NClD|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/26483281749...0Dt1%2FseuUXAKYd15sm|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

10. Dark-Farmer

Dark-Farmer Member

So I order the clip package you posted on Amazon. Won't get it till July 23rd ....
    Oh well I know it's the right thing.

So I put the regulator I got at the wrecker and put my new battery in. Twisted the wires together and she fired up with no issue. Measured voltage at 13.3v at idle at 3000rpm it was 14.3v.
    So I think it's fixed, once I get that new clip on there.

11. Mechanic1978

Aces!!, you are in spec buddy... Great job!
    Make sure the new RR is bolted to metal attached to frame, and is solid with no vibration. Having it grounded will prolong the life by allowing frame to absorb majority of the heat it generates.