1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Gas smell in oil

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Glen F., May 4, 2021.

1. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Went for ride tonight. Felt great!!! I did notice again that after the bike gets really warmed up, the rpms climb. I had the bike idling at about 1200, and it climbed to 2000. Any idea why that would happen? I know it's not dialed in exactly yet, but that shouldn't be happening.

2. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

vacume leak, or sucking fuel. so we are not solved on this one...

3. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Crap. I have new throttle shaft seals on order, but they won't be here for 2 weeks. I did notice that when I apply the front brake at a stop light, the rpms come down a bit.

4. Mechanic1978

watch this for a better understanding of why the shaft seals are crucial. watch all descriptions carefully, and pause the video if need be. speciffically watch the throttle fly shaft area and where the mixtures enter from.

hats off to these guys for the demonstration....

Glen F. likes this.
  5. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

So for now, I guess I just deal with the idle increase and wait for the throttle shaft seals to arrive, and see what happens after I install them.

hogfiddles likes this.
  6. Mechanic1978

correct sir... in the meantime, double check that petcock valve is still dry lol:)

Glen F. likes this.
  7. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Just got back in from checking the oil level. All good, but I'll check again tomorrow.

Mechanic1978 likes this.
  8. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Well they nearly got that right. On mikunis and hitachis the idle mixture screw adjusts fuel and air together (emulsified fuel) - allong with the butterfly position of course. They also missed the very important progression circuit. Also they have the vacuum signal to the top of the diaphragm coming from the inlet manifold - this would be a disaster, for obvious reasons. A really good illustration though - how do you produce such things?
    @Glen F. - if you're rpm's rise when the engine gets hotter you may have the idle mixture set a tad weak, so that at cold or not so hot temps the engine is underfuelled. The poor old carb has to battle its own shortcomings as well as oil temps changing, reducing friction, clearances opening up etc.. Try a quarter turn open on each screw, then adjust idle speed down when hot. I'm not saying you don't need throttle shaft seals, but I would try this first..

hogfiddles, Glen F. and Franz like this.
  9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I had the same problem on a car it was a split hose on the PCV valve. High vacuum occurs at idle in the inlet manifold which was sucking in unmetered air via the split hose. This resulted in the injectors supplying more fuel. Revs would increase without me pressing the accelerator pedal. Our bikes don't have fuel injection but vacuum leaks supply additional air. Throttle shaft seals next.

Glen F. likes this.
  10. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Oil level stayed the same over night! One less thing to worry about.

Mechanic1978 and Franz like this.
  11. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

I'll give that a try. I was using a color tune, but it's really hard to see.

Minimutly likes this.
  12. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges there, so that argument is moot. A lot easier to adjust idle fuelling than changing throttle shaft seals. Oops, forgot, this is the self flaggelation forum.

Franz and Glen F. like this.
  13. Mechanic1978

this video is just a representation of the understanding of how a CV carb functions, its on a HD carb, so of course it will not have the exact same locations of the circuits, however the visual understanding is there, and Im sure @Glen F. got the picture and now better understands how his carb setup will function. I assumed anyone that seen this would understand that its not thier exact carb setup.

Glen F. likes this.
  14. Mechanic1978

If you had an "unmetered" air flow into the engine in any area, then the PCM and MAF will not register it, therefore it will not be getting any extra fule. it will run leaner, and have a loping idle. if its a large enough leak, it may not idle at all.

15. Mechanic1978

Thats exellent Glen!!! progress, one problem at a time!:)

Glen F. likes this.
  16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

You can tell l am not a mechanic :D

Glen F. and Mechanic1978 like this.
  17. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Me neither!!! That's why I'm here for all the expert advice. Sometimes they talk way to advanced for me. Especially when they start with the PCM and MAF. Just guessing, max air flow?

Franz likes this.
  18. Mechanic1978

lol... close.... mass air flow. pcm = Powertrain control module ecm = engine control module, but these days the PCM and ECM are one in the same. todays modern cars can have up to 70 different controllers... ughhh!

Glen F. likes this.
  19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Mass air flow sensor and power train control module. I save a lot of money doing my own repairs and enjoy working on cars and motorcycles. Lots of knowledgeable people on here and that's great we can keep learning more.

Glen F. and Mechanic1978 like this.
  20. Mechanic1978

I have been on several forums, and most professionals are timid/cold when another person joins and starts spreading info that they would usually be giving. I left them, as the members were asses, and started a lot of nonsense ranting. it seems realy cool and calm here, and for the most part wrather pleasent and well recieved. So if none of the modders and senior members are not offended, I will continue to inform and assist in any way I can. I'm a 3rd generation mechanic, with a lifetime of knowledge and hands on expierence and Im willing to help whoever I can.. so ask away Glen..:)

Glen F. and Franz like this.