1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj750 clutch

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by falexander84, Mar 28, 2015.

1. falexander84

falexander84 New Member

I bought the bike as a project so far so good except I cannot get the clutch to disengage. I replaced the clutch plates and the clutch springs and oil. with the clutch plates out I can spin the inner and outer sections independently. however once its all assembled no matter how I adjust the cable it will not disengage. I even tried turning the clutch arm with a wrench to ensure I was getting the full turn.
    Any Ideas?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Have you inspected the clutch basket for wear? Some wear is OK, but if there are grooves in the basket where the plaes contact it, the plates will catch and not be able to move.

3. falexander84

falexander84 New Member

Every thing inside looks pretty sharp . I'm sure I'm doing something stupid. I'm just don't know what.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Did you get the small "dot" on the pressure plate lined up with the corresponding mark on the hub?

5. falexander84

falexander84 New Member

I thought so but I'll take it apart and try again. I'll keep y'all posted.

6. Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome New Member

Any news on this? I have a similar issue where my clutch won't disengage even with the clutch arm zip tied all the way. I tried to use the rear brake to break it free in case the plates are stuck, but no luck. I don't know how long mine was sitting, but it operated ok going from the garage to the trailer. Was yours just an assembly issue or was there something else?

Also, my clutch arm return spring is gone and it's really easy to move, but the shouldn't affect trying to disengage it.

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

spring is 3$ at dealership.

will bike (wheel turn) roll in neutral?

8. Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome New Member

I cannot get mine into neutral, I tried a bunch going up, down, tapping it, going real slow, etc. I think the problem is my clutch is not letting go ever. I did get it to neutral once, but shortly it jumped back into gear itself (I had it running on the center stand at the time). I opened up the clutch and took a look, noticed that the (sorry for my ignorance) geared plunger that I assume is supposed to release the clutch is really loose on the clutch plate. I am not sure if that's normal or not. I took a little video, couldn't upload it so I linked it to my public dropbox. Anyone know if that is normal? I didn't see anything really bad on the clutch or friction plates, but I'm not a pro here. No obvious blueing or symptoms of a burnt clutch.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/833035/VID_20161018_190033578.mp4

9. k-moe

That's normal. The plunger just sits there until the clutch rod turns to press on it.

[EDIT] It might be a bit too floppy. There is a thrust bearing and a washer that go on the plunger rod (behind the pressure plate). Those might be missing.

You should still be able to hit neutral even with stuck plates. There is no auto-neutral finder, so it takes quite a bit of practice to find neutral consistently.

The dot Chacal mentioned is near the upper left bolt in your video. The corresponding dot is on the outside of the clutch basket.
    Have you read CLUTCHES 101-Part 1: the 400/550/600s with pics ?
    The clutch in yours is very similar, and Fitz points out the differences in that thread (yours does not have the special friction plate, or the retaining spring for that plate). The dots and alignment procedure are also covered.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  10. Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome New Member

That's good to know, I'll do some more looking around in there and make sure there aren't any metal pieces floating around behind my plates. Thanks!

11. k-moe

See my edited post.

12. Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome New Member

I checked out a similar thread, I did verify I have the washer and bearing in there, I think my only real issue is finding neutral on it. My other issue was that I am dealing with a mostly disassembled bike so my clutch lever wasn't getting the leverage it needed to release the clutch. I now determined I can get it to release, just need to get the clutch arm spring and figure out if I need to get into the transmission at all :/

13. Marchy

Marchy Member

Did this get resolved im in same issue even after new clutch plates and springs

14. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

Does your neutral light not work?

Put it on center stand, remove all the clutch plates, spin the inner basket rotor by hand and shift the gear lever till you hit nuetral. you will know when its in neutral when the rear wheel stops spinning with the rotor your rotating.

15. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Really? From 2016?
    Start your own post is the (good) advice you'll get here, saves confusion all round, and will get you going sooner.