1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Gas smell in oil

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Glen F., May 4, 2021.

1. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Use it in a darkened area, or throw a blanket over the tank/carbs area if doing it during the day. Also, it may have been answered before, but have you done a running (vac) synch on the engine (carbs), and, don't forget that every time you do ANYTHING to adjust the power output of any individual cylinder (this includes valve shim adjustments, mixture screw fiddling, fuel level changes, etc.) you must re-synch, as you've thrown off the engine balance and synch re-sets that balance. An out-of-synch engine can do exactly what you are describing and can be easily mis-diagnosed as for other fundamental cause (such as throttle shaft seals the leak when the carbs warm up).

hogfiddles, Franz and Glen F. like this.
  2. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Thanks for the advice Len!

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

If it’s not dialed in, it CAN be happening quite easily..

Glen F. likes this.
  4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Aaand, it's cheaper and easier to try than a shaft seal job. Just sayin'

5. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Took the tank off because I don't have the proper length screwdriver, and was going to sync again. I guess I must have broken a wire off on top of the coil doing that. That one I was able to solder back on, and that was the left coil. On top of the right coil there is the same wire, but it's coated in some black stuff, and it's loose. Not sure if I should scrape the black stuff off and hope it's soldered the same as the other side.

6. Minimutly

In the rest of the civilised world ecu's, pcm's or whatever else thy're called have lambda sensors, either narrow or wideband, that adjust the mixture to maintain sufficient rich/lean to keep the cat working. So they compensate for leaks...

7. Minimutly

Carry on, but don't expect me to but in and correct something I think is not correct. I may be wrong too...

8. Minimutly

This is at best a repair and hope job. Get some gloop and re cover it, but I would be thinking about a replacement.

9. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

Glen, you can cobble it all you want, its still a cobble...lol I would just replace it, its old as h e double hockey stix anyways. But glad you caught it.

Glen F. likes this.
  10. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Actually it's brand new.

Mechanic1978 likes this.
  11. Mechanic1978

an intake only has two sensors to meter it... mas for air intake measurement, and a map, it meters manifold pressure most also have an ambient temp sensor as well, but its not for the intake air. if the maf does not pick it up, it is not getting accounted for period. it throws the map reading off as well, as it cannot pressurize and send correct signals to the pcm. a map sensor or maf alone cannot tell the pcm to "hey man adjust that fuel" it just dont work the way your thinking, there other crucial variables in play as well. But I commend your effort. if you want me to explain this for you in detail, just PM me, as this thread its to assist @Glen F. so I wont do it here

Glen F. likes this.
  12. Mechanic1978

so did you tear it out of the end of the coil?

13. Mechanic1978

sems all you do is butt in and call BS...I just left a thread you have done exactly what you have claimed you dont do...

14. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

No, but I can wiggle it. I can't keep the bike running the way it is. FML. I broke the soldiered one off but was able to soldier it back on. This one has some sort of black stuff on it. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Mechanic1978 likes this.
  15. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

The attached picture shows the red and white trace wire coming from the coil that is coated in the black stuff.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  16. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Sorry, should been the one with the grey wire. See attached

Attached Files:

17. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Looks like the black stuff is a covering. I took it off and both wires are still soldered on. What to check next?

18. Mechanic1978

the soldering is further into the coil,its internal. not at the edge where it can be seen or where the wires goes in. yes thats a covering for bending protection. the wires are partially molded into the outter casing during manufacture. if you can see the terminals on the back side and wire soldered to them, its a cheaply manufactured part. some coils come with no wires and just have spade terminals (I prefer) but generally, chances are @Glen F. if it never came "all the way out" it's likely still ok. thats "my opinion", so use your best judgement as if you or I am wrong, can leave you stranded.

Glen F. likes this.
  19. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

I'm guessing that the grey wires act like ground wires. I checked to make sure there was spark to the plugs and all are good. With the one wire broken off, before I soldered it back on, could I have screwed up some sort of timing, since only 2 cylinders were firing?

20. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Timing and timing advance are controlled by the TCI. You cannot screw it up.

Mechanic1978 and Glen F. like this.