1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

HOW TO: Change your fork seals

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Gamuru, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

once the clip is out there's nothing holding the spring in but a stuck o-ring and some rust, hit the cap (15) down to break it free then the spring will push it out, might take a few tries, might have to take the fork off and compress it to give the spring some more power
    be careful it might come flying out, be ready

2. kcoop99

kcoop99 Member

I can get to this point without having to remove anything (I have only removed the fork from the bike).
    Can I just pry out this seal and slide down over tube?? Too easy???

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You could. However there are TWO seals; a dust seal and below it, the fork seal itself. You're not going to do that with the fork seals, which are the ones that do the work and need to be replaced. The forks have to come apart to do the job right.

I fought with rusted-stuck caps for over 9 months before applying KROIL and they popped right loose.

4. markie

markie Member

I couldn't get my tubes apart so had to use the sliding over method.

I used the old seal to knock in the new one. Be VERY careful prying out the old seal and make sure you change the oil!

5. smeban01

smeban01 New Member

Alright,
    I feel like an idiot as no one else seems to be stalled on this problem. I'm re-doing the fork seals on my 85 Maxim X. The caps are off, the forks are drained and the springs removed. I'm stuck on the pinch bolts holding the individual shocks to the steering assembly. The pinch bolts are carriage bolts, meaning that the head is rounded chrome - no place for a socket to grab on to. They are threaded into the steering assembly - no nut to loosen on the other side. How stupid am I? Yet how did they get these bolts tight without a head?

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

They really aren't carriage head bolts.........they are socket head cap screws (allen key drive in their head) and then a plastic decorative plug fits into the allen-key depression and makes the bolt head all purdy.......use a very thin flat blade screwdriver or similar tool to pry the plastic caps off.......

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  7. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

When you get those "Beauty Pieces" out, ... Use the right tool to loosen the METRIC cap Screws.

Rounding-out the Hex Flats on Pinch Bolt fasteners is NOT how you want to start-off the Season doing maintenance.

8. smeban01

smeban01 New Member

Yup. I should have realized that... Thanks guys!

9. KA1J

KA1J Member

An excellent primer & it helped me greatly in getting this done myself. I did find a bugaboo which will maybe help some. It's at this point:
    11. Remove the cap bolt[15]. Replace the o-ring[12] if it has become damaged. Remove any rust that may be present on the cap bolt[15]."

Not sure this is the right place to state my observation but when I tried compressing the fork while still on the bike, it did not want to compress. I even dented slightly the outer surface of the schrader valves with the same unit you used. The reason was the upper clamps on the upper tube were so tight they deflected the tube inward and it prevented travel to expose the circlip. I found I needed to loosen the top clamp and all went well from that part on.

10. Beekman

Beekman XJ Grasshopper

Anyone know what happened to the pictures in this thread? They've recently disappeared. Im doing a fork seal now and was hoping to have this as a resource. And gamuru hasnt been seen in almost 2 years

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

12. Beekman

Beekman XJ Grasshopper

13. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

The pictures didn't come through and when I clicked on the box to open them I got a warning that I had tried to "hack" the site! Hope the FBI doesn't show up at my place! Any idea how to see the pictures?

14. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Yeah, I would really like to get these pics back too. I didn't get a chance to do my forks last year and am going to do them this year. This post with pictures is a must have for me.

15. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The following discussion has some very good pointers, tips, and photographs that detail the fork rebuild process on a 1981 XJ650 Maxim model (one of the "simple" fork systems), and is a good point of reference to help you decide whether the task is something that you wish to attempt yourself or leave to a qualified shop. Many thanks to owner Gamuru for his excellent efforts in providing this material:

http://xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?threads/8355

And user FlyGP breaks some kind of guiness book of world record(s) award for his efforts!:

http://xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?threads/29616

and

Regular contributor Alive also has two great image-documentaries in regards to the more "complicated" fork systems. This first one shows the XJ900 (without the anti-dive system) fork rebuild process, although these images can also be used as a guide for any model front forking system that use the lower bushing on the chrome fork tubes:

http://xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?threads/4067

while this photo-journal details the secret, inner workings of the "anti-dive" units found on XJ750 Seca and XJ900RK Seca models:

http://xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?threads/1860

and

http://xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?threads/44997

and finally, for all you XJ750 Seca owners, here's the secrets to that funny and unique "oil lock valve assembly" used only on these models, and the proper orientation of all of those special washers:

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=159288.html

and

http://xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?threads/41895

1982 XJ750J Maxim owners will want to pay attention to the special guidelines in regards to properly setting the preload via correct positioning and insertion of the long damper adjusting rod unique to these forks:

http://xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?threads/32271

16. JennK

JennK New Member

Hello, Not sure if anyone is still paying attention to this thread -- hopefully yes. This is in regards to a 1982 XJ650 air assisted (Canadian model). This is my first rebuild and am enjoying it except am tired of seeing the bike on blocks!

Stuck on putting the forks back together. If I have it right, the spring, the seat, the spacer (longish metal bar), gasket, circlip and eventually the air valve. So the question is, when just looking at the whole thing, how does one get the pressure to force the spring and spacer in place? It seems near impossible. The spring sticks out a few inches and to add a few more inches of a spacer and push it all in? Am I missing something here??? This is the only part of the disassembley I didn't see and so don't know how it came apart or the level of pressure there was.
    thanks!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  17. granitize

granitize Member

Canada - East Coast - Prince Edward Island
    I loved this thread.
    '82 Seca 550.
    No bushing/bearing on the upper... Just a nice tight machine fit into the lower.

The bold joining the upper and lower tubes goes through a tapered spindle (set inside the bottom of the upper tube), into a threaded dampening rod.

Oil seal, dust seal, circ clips, 0-rings, cap-bolt (that isn't a bolt).
    That's it.

Hope it doesn't leak.

20151219_180314.jpg 20151219_180553.jpg

18. timotheos

timotheos Member

hi,
    Maybe I missed something in the instructions/pictures/etc, but I have an inverted spark plug socket, but it doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the fork (the black piece on my Midnight Maxim). I assume what's holding it up is the damper rod piston ring? Or the oil seal? It looks like it's white. Anyway, how do I get past that to hold the piece in place in order to remove the bottom bolts?

Edit: now I'm wondering if that really is the end of what's holding the hex bolt in?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021