1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

HELP - was starting now not :-( 81' XJ550

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Montanamoment, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Montanamoment

Montanamoment New Member

Hey y'all
    I'm a very new bike owner I bought my first ever bike 1981 XJ550 Maxim about 3 months ago. I since spent the time replacing the spark plugs, battery, oil, as well as other cosmetic projects like painting the gas tank.

The issue I am having now is that whenever I turn the ignition switch to ON the headlight doesn't come on as it should. I then try and start the bike; neutral light, choke, kill switch, and fuel valve are all in check, but I get about 4 good cranks and then it shops trying to start. I then try to start it again (push the ignition button) and nothing happens! Other than the red OIL LEVEL light flicks on when I press the start button, but no sounds or anything.

I've really got no clue what could be wrong. I've got power all other lights except the headlight comes on, and I am not getting any turnover after the first try. Any help is MUCH appreciated! :) thanks!

also this was happening before I even replaced the battery, and have since gotten a new one so it most likely isn't the battery.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Sounds like low voltage. It should crank more than four times if battery is good. Make sure your battery is fully charged, the bike can crank but there is not enough voltage to operate the transistors in the TCI which means no spark at the plugs. Even new batteries can be faulty. Fully charge the battery make sure everything you can switch off is off. Put a multimeter across the bike battery terminals and press the starter button and record the voltage. You need at least 10.8 volts for the ignition to work. Have you got the original fusebox in your bike? If so change it for a blade fusebox. The old ones are notorious for causing electrical problems. Get a Haynes Manual if you don't have one. You can also try a car battery with jump leads.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Montanamoment likes this.
  3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

You can also try and start the bike on a hill. Ignition and choke on then once rolling put it in second gear and let the clutch lever out. That way most electrical power is going to the ignition system as the starter motor is not cranking.

Montanamoment likes this.
  4. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

FYI - Headlight won't come on until the engine fires.
    Check/try the things stated above.
    Mine quit cranking when the starter motor brushes were worn, rebuilding starter fixed the problem.

5. Montanamoment

Montanamoment New Member

Thank You Franz,
    I will try the multimeter today and see what I can't find by testing the battery, I swapped the SLA battery it came with for a 12v AGM battery thinking it would solve all my problems - and hasn't yet.

It also definitely has the original fusebox - where could I get the right blade fusebox for my bike? I did a quick search and there are too many options for my minimal fusebox knowledge haha. Thanks Again!!

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Len has them contact him on info@xj4ever or an auto shop. He has parts for the XJ series of bikes.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

8. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Try cleaning the starter button contacts in the handlebar switch. If the oil light is flickering it sounds like it is not making good contact which would not allow the starter solenoid to engage.

could be many other things but that’s where I would start with the information you’ve provided.

Franz likes this.
  9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Think the switch grounds to the handlebar too on our bikes.

10. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Some do, I’m not up on which 550’s has the ground wire and which had the wire. Good point to check though, make sure the mounting location is clean for both the handlebars and the switch housing to the bars.

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I am sure my 900f switch grounds but wasn't sure about the 550.

12. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

550 grounds through the handle bars a quick ground is from control body screw down handle bars to ignition coil mounting bolt.
    check the connector from control to main harness it is right there beside right ignition coil make sure it is clean and tight and the wires are seated in the connector body.
    you will see the black wire on the control harness note the wire does not have a mating wire in the main harness connector.
    you could add the ground there xj4ever can sell you the contact and wire it into the main harness connector then to coil mounting bolt for a clean setup.

my 550s all had an issue at the connector