1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter Issues

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Andrew Lake, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Andrew Lake

Andrew Lake New Member

Hi all,

I have an ‘82 XJ750. My starter has been having issues lately. On a cold start, the starter will not get the bike started. After attempting to start for a short time, I can’t even get the starter to turn. I can bump start/running start the bike very easily. After warming up and riding for a bit, I can get the starter to start the bike. The PO did some very janky electrical work on the bike. I’m in the process of figuring out my plan to completely rewire the bike but I wanted to see where I’d start with this issue first. Any thoughts?

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

starter rebuild kit is a good place to start
    or you have a bad battery do a voltage drop test on your battery should read 12.8 volts in the morning then with meter on battery try starting bike if it drops to 10 or less volts you have an issue.
    you should also put a charger on bike 2 amps or less or a battery tender over night see if your bike starts cold.
    will it start with a jump start from car? car not running.

when you have your bike running check the charging voltage at idle 2krpm and 3k rpm.

what ia am trying to say is you could have a weak bttery that charges after you start it and ride then loses its charge over night.

the starter may need a rebuild.
    i would check out charging system and battery first, it wont cost you any money , if you have to buy a cheap battery tender thats a good investment.

cgutz likes this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

with the jankey wiring I would check the voltage reg connectors and clean them with electronic contact spray cleaner and a little dielectric grease for reassemblly.
    also the brush connectors to alternator clean battery terminals and connectors.

I do have a 82 main wiring harness click on my avatar and start a conversation with me about the harness

4. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

My starter had similar issues until I rebuilt it. Since it bumps starts easily, I am guessing your brushes are worn/starter dirty and drawing too many amps. As the starter heats, the problems progresses to where it won't even turn over. This can draw the voltage down where you lose spark.

As state above, take the start apart and see if it brushes worn. Mine was also full of filthly black crud. A rebuild kit from XJ4ever worked great.

5. Andrew Lake

Andrew Lake New Member

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I’ll start with the points you guys mentioned and be back with an update hopefully by this weekend

6. Joesphan

Joesphan New Member

I had the same issue with mine, no voltage drop when I pressed the start button, solenoid was clicking but no cigar.
    What did it for me was a $35 amazon starter rebuild kit, comes in a yellow packaging. Ebay has them for $10 cheaper if you don't mind waiting.

7. Andrew Lake

Andrew Lake New Member

No voltage drop on my battery so I’m going to buy the starter rebuild kit. Thanks!

8. Joesphan

Joesphan New Member

The long screws that bolt the motor casing together don't like to come out. Spray some pb blaster in the threads and wait overnight. Use some vice grips on the screws to avoid stripping the heads.

GL!

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

NO! Use an impact driver and/or a JIS screwdriver on the bolts.
    Vice grips should be reserved for use if the bolts get buggered up, because they will do some damage themselves.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Franz likes this.
  10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The best rebuild kits come from Len/Chacal. Emial info@xj4ever.com.
    A lot of the parts on Ebay and elsewhere are of poor quality, and knowing which are and which aren't takes some legwork.