1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New owner, hello. I have a couple questions.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Richard Krzeminski, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Richard Krzeminski

Richard Krzeminski New Member

So I purchased a 1982 XJ650 this week, and its my first bike. I have much to learn I'm sure. So I have a couple questions I'm sure are common sense for seasoned riders.

Can I replace turn signal bulbs with automotive bulbs?

Does my bike have a manual petcock or vavum? I only see a clear blue fuel line going from the petcock to the engine.

Is it always this hard to find neutral?

Can I leave my petcock on reserve while its running, and off while parked?

Those are the ones I can think of right now. Thank you for any answers!

2. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

Hi Richard,

Congrats with your bike and you'll find this forum very helpful. I don't have a 650 but think I can answer 3 of you're questions.

If the petcock only has one connection for a hose and the hose goes to your carbs then it's manual operated. If it wasn't then there would be a second connection for a vacuum hose that would run to a nipple on a air intake boot. The vacuum that's created when the engine runs opens the petcock so fuel can flow. But yours seems to be manual operated.

Yes you can leave it on reserve while running if you like. Just make sure it's on off when not running. If you don't and the petcock leaks then the carbs can overflow and gas can enter your engine.

Neutral can be hard to find on my 700x too sometimes. Most of the times it's a sign I have to change the motor oil. Works for me. Another simple reason could be that the clutch isn't properly adjusted.

Enjoy your bike!

3. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

Sorry that's only true for the vacuum operated petcock which doesn't have a 'off' position. Yours will always let fuel through if the carbs leak and the petcock is on 'on' or 'reserve'. Still always on off when not running.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the bulbs are same as car bulbs

make sure the vacuum nipples are all capped off as you have a manual petcock

5. Richard Krzeminski

Thanks for the reply. I’ll be sure to turn the petcock off from now on. Its sat for a few days in the on position, and I had no idea.

I’m sure I will have a lot more questions as time passes so I’m glad this forum is here. I want to upgrade the blinkers and gauge cluster to LED, and a nice digital gauge if the bike can handle it.

6. Richard Krzeminski

Good to know, my left blinker turns on, but doesn’t blink. I figure its a bad bulb.

7. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Be careful switching to LED lights the current draw can cause issues with self cancelling turn signals. There are several cheap Chinese made instrument clusters , some better than others , but some only display KPH while some have both MPH and KPH. Good luck with your bike .

8. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Leaving it on reserve while running is ok, but once out of gas, you are out of gas...reserve is to get you to the gas station when you bike runs out of fuel when the petcock is set on "run." Motorcycle version of a low fuel light.

Franz and Toyobaru866 like this.