1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Can a crack in valve cover be mended? '81 xj550

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by XJ-Kirk, Aug 3, 2021.

1. XJ-Kirk

XJ-Kirk New Member

I finally found the leak I've been chasing for a while. I removed/replaced the valve cover twice to ensure a good fit, then ruled out where the tach cable connects. Finally saw it seeping out of the top front of the cover. You can see the line in the pic. I don't recall seeing a crack inside or out when I painted the cover a few months back. I torqued the cover to spec so I don't think I caused this but who knows...

Sooo, can this be mended somehow via weld, chemical bonding, etc.???

valve cover crack.jpg

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

ebay has a few for for 25$ total would be cheaper than welding.
    you may be able to seal it but the vibration from motor would open it up after time

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

4. XJ-Kirk

XJ-Kirk New Member

5. XJ-Kirk

XJ-Kirk New Member

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The seller notes that it is for XJ550 engines, and all XJ550 engines use the same shape/design valvecover (although surface finish may differ by model/year).

We also have already re-finished valvecovers available:

HCP23040RF OEM restored, re-finished, polished-and-powdercoated VALVECOVER, fits all XJ550 models, beautiful and durable powder-coated, low-gloss black finish as original. Makes the top end of your engine look like new! Although the black finish is only correct for 1982-83 XJ550 Seca models ---- all other XJ550 models used a natural-finish version of this same cover ---- this cover will properly fit all 1981-84 XJ550 model engines. NOTE: a $ 50.00 core charge applies to this item, and a re-usable XJ550 valvecover must be returned for the core charge to be refunded. “Re-usable" means it is not damaged, twisted, modified, or dented, and has no deep metal pitting.
    $ 159.95 + $ 50.00 refundable core charge

7. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

A "good" tig welder can weld it on the bike depending on the location, yours will need to be removed, the weld will be the strongest part of the cover and will not crack back out.

But I agree with @XJ550H, if you can locat a used one cheap enough, get it and some bolt ring seals and a gasket nd call it done.