1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New new new So. California SGV area

Discussion in 'Western US and Canada' started by Miguel Garcia, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Miguel Garcia

Miguel Garcia New Member

Good evening everybody, my name is Miguel and I just acquired a 1985 xj700 from a friends dad. It's been sitting out in the sun since (I'm assuming) 1995 so its pretty rough to say the least. I'm hoping to bring it back to life in the next year or however long it takes to get it done right. Any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated. thanks again.

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The recommend process when dealing with an unknown-service-history older model bike is:

a) check/adjust the valve shim clearances

b) clean/rebuid the carbs

c) after the above steps are taken, you can tune the carbs (synch, mixture screw adjustment).

d) change every fluid (forks, engine, final drive, blinker fluid oil........just kidding! Blinker fluid oil lasts a lifetime).

e) inspect and replace (if needed) the brake system……m/c rebuild, caliper rebuild, brake hose replacement, rear drum shoes careful inspection (they friction material tend to delaminate after many years, and if you’re riding when they delaminate, you are going to have a Very Bad Day…..

f) inspect and replace tires if needed

g) inspect and upgrade electrical / charging system (stock fusebox is crappy, old batteries are unreliable, rotor and stator resistance checks, ignition coil resistance checks). Replace components as needed.
    NOTE: the fusebox recommendation does not apply to the XJ700 units, as they have a very robust "modern" type blade fusebox already.

h) after all the above is done, then you can get to work on doing any restoration work on the visuals, etc.

Miguel Garcia likes this.
  3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Blinker fluid oil lasts a lifetime, and I was just going to order some ;)

4. chacal

It's not too late, get yours now before we run out (worldwide shortages, etc.).

We also have some NOS genuine Yamaha Air for your tires (and forks, on certain models) available. Organically produced, non-GMO air. For your bike.

Don't hesitate, order today.

5. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

You got vacuum? I need a litre.

JMark likes this.
  6. chacal

Air we have in stock. Vacuum is back-ordered. Hard to get vacuum nowadays.

JMark and lostboy like this.
  7. Miguel Garcia

Miguel Garcia New Member

Hahaha, thanks for the laughs everybody. Spent a little time today just spraying down nuts and bolts. Gonna continue this for about a week before I lay into it.
    7375B7D3-85C7-4D20-9711-9461572AB2E3.jpeg 69A20BB9-854D-4341-BF6B-E48CCC4939D0.jpeg 9A10A3D9-0C75-49FD-B9DA-6380793A8883.jpeg

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Wow that has spent a few days out in the elements. Been down on the right side too, hard at one time. How does the gas tank look inside?

All in all I think you have a good project in front of you. You plan on refreshing it or total restore?

StarGeneral and Miguel Garcia like this.
  9. Miguel Garcia

Miguel Garcia New Member

I think I want to refresh it first before I start a total restore. Was thinking of making it into a brat style. Or maybe cafe. But definitely something useful.

as for the tank, it seems to be in ok condition for what it is. I’ll try to get some pics of the inside tomorrow.

Timbox likes this.
  10. Miguel Garcia

Miguel Garcia New Member

Pics from the gas tank. Also, I may have gotten a little carried away today. Took apart the wiring and labeled everything as I unplugged. A25EE663-43B7-484C-BD5E-DA3F24754D8D.jpeg 936C1F5B-5BD4-474D-B621-191D5493E685.jpeg C09EE261-0132-4F0B-8118-0C7E837A2E9F.jpeg 4C2FF24F-8B0E-4844-865E-66E102D9A4A6.jpeg

11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Well you have a project on your hands. I also see from the last pic that your fork tubes are very rusty and or pitted. If that is the case they will never keep a seal very long. You will have to clean and repair the lower portions. Gas tank...wow, evapo rust will work as will other products. When you take those carbs off heat up the boots good so you don't damage them Hair dryer or heat gun to the rubber that will help. I hope the inside of the carbs are in better shape then what it looks like.

I hope you have a lot of time on your hands. You will need it with this bike. Good luck and keep us posted.

12. Miguel Garcia

Miguel Garcia New Member

ED2465F3-72D0-4ADD-A6D3-BF4166C701DB.jpeg 8498A1B3-3317-4423-97C6-36E673252164.jpeg B9460C7A-1242-49F9-B205-BB9CCB8E3A0C.jpeg 1F50BD14-AF80-4690-817D-5C6BAC09FF48.jpeg 8C5401DA-F16F-41BB-A74E-EAB344ED6A2A.jpeg ED2465F3-72D0-4ADD-A6D3-BF4166C701DB.jpeg 8498A1B3-3317-4423-97C6-36E673252164.jpeg B9460C7A-1242-49F9-B205-BB9CCB8E3A0C.jpeg 1F50BD14-AF80-4690-817D-5C6BAC09FF48.jpeg 8C5401DA-F16F-41BB-A74E-EAB344ED6A2A.jpeg Well now…. I wish I would have seen your post before.

I stepped out today to see how far I can get on it and well… yeah, the boots on the engine side are no longer any good.

What are your thoughts on the condition of the boots and carbs? Lol! Oh and I’m assuming my engine is no good. But what’s your opinion?

Oh ye

13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Outside looks to show harsh weather exposure. The engine needs to be checked to see if it turns and if it has compression. I am guessing your tires are very dry rotted too. That might just be a parts bike, but that all depends on what time, talent and money you have to put into it.

The upper right corner has a link you need to click on, there are many links that you can read on the cost of maintaining these bikes.

14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Inlet stubs off without snapped bolts how often does that happen :)

jayrodoh, Miguel Garcia and Timbox like this.
  15. Miguel Garcia

Miguel Garcia New Member

Well now…. I wish I would have seen your post before.

I stepped out today to see how far I can get on it and well… yeah, the boots on the engine side are no longer any good.

What are your thoughts on the condition of the boots and carbs? Lol! Oh and I’m assuming my engine is no good. But what’s your opinion?
    it definitely wasn’t fun taking those things off.

16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Don't assume parts are no good until you have carried out a full inspection. Even though your bike needs work the engine and carburettors may be fine. Good luck with your project.

17. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

If you remove the left hand engine cover gear lever side and remove the spark plugs can you turn the engine over with a 19mm open ended spanner on the end of the crankshaft? Rotate engine anticlockwise.

Carb boots need replacing and carb float bowls removed to see what they are like inside. Probably will need a total rebuild.

18. Miguel Garcia

Miguel Garcia New Member

Thanks, gonna do that. Appreciate the help.

19. Miguel Garcia

Miguel Garcia New Member

So where can I get a good engine rebuild kit? From mild to wild (Mainly mild, haha) I want to start getting options and prices together for the rebuild.

20. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Len has all the parts but you need to ascertain what you need. You can contact him on info@xj4ever.com

Are you planning to split the crankcase or just do a top end rebuild?

Timbox and Miguel Garcia like this.