1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hard starting new 82xj 650 seca build

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by joejr2, Aug 12, 2021.

1. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

I thought I was finished with an 82 xj 650 non turbo seca last fall. I had to let it sit until last week.
    When I tried to start it, The neutral light came on and when I pushed the starter button the oil light
    came on. the engine would turn over sometimes but on the second push of the button nothing.
    the battery has 13.65 volts. Left/right HB controls all test ok. kickstand switch ok. The starter solenoid
    works every tme when the poles are jumped. Is there a way to bypass the kickstand and cutoff relays
    to see if they are faulty

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Shouldn't you start checking fuses first? Then voltages along the circuit?

3. joejr2

4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

The oil light is for oil quantity...not oil pressure , if you are jumpering start solenoid, replace it they are CHEAP , I always keep a spare . Corrosion gets built up in them from moisture, and resistance builds up so they will not work. Why does everyone want to eliminate the side stand relay ? Put bike on centerstand and put kickstand up see if this allows you to crank .

5. joejr2

I tested the kickstand switch. It functions ok. I mentioned the oil light because if it works, the kickstand relay and the cutoff relay are getting power on the red wire with
    the white stripe. The blue wire w/yellow stripe from the kickstand switch should activate the kickstand relay. I tested it for continuity and it was ok. I swapped out several
    starter relays and none of them would fire. I need to test the kickstand and the cutoff relay to see if they function. I remember someone on the forum saying that the test
    shown in the haynes manual is incorrect. is that true. Fuses were the first thing I checked.

6. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

You really are making a meal of a simple check - how about measure the coil voltage at the starter relay (usually known as the solenoid)? You can use a 12V lamp- like a 5W, hold it across the small terminals, press the button. If the lamp lights but no click do what @Jetfixer suggests and buy another solenoid. Reminds me I should keep a spare, since I have four Yamahas here....

7. joejr2

Yeah I have a box of starter solenoids too. I swapped one from an xj650 that runs and it had the same problem I'm going to test the cutoff and kickstand relays next

8. joejr2