1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New owner needs help!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by TWitt942, Aug 4, 2021.

1. TWitt942

TWitt942 New Member

Hi, I’m new here’s do this is my first post.
    I recently bought my first bike, an 82 xj650 Seca. Looks amazing, owner had just replaced spark plugs and wires, dyna coils(idk what those are) and changed the oil once a month.
    I was showing it off to a friend and didn’t know how the petcock worked and ended up leaving it on prime. Opened the garage maybe a week later and had a huge puddle on the floor. It looked to be fuel and oil, so i changed the oil and oil filter. Now when I start the bike it stalls if I leave it in idle and if I try to change to first gear it shuts off as soon as the gear pedal moves.
    Can anyone tell me what the problem might be? I don’t know if it’s me or something is wrong with the bike

thank you!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  2. StarGeneral

StarGeneral Active Member

Stalls when you start it....is the enricher turned all the way on? I don't really see how your petcock mistake would cause a difference in how it runs, unless you disturbed something during your oil change and didn't notice.

The airbox vent tube is pretty close to the sidestand switch. It's entirely possible that your sidestand switch got coated in that gasoline/oil mixture when it overflowed, and is now contaminated. Remove your gas tank (or securely lift it up, and remove the relay just under the tank, and behind the left ignition coil (it is a golden box with a plug that plugs into it, it has a BLUE paint mark on it). Unplug the relay, start the bike, and try to put it in gear. If it goes into gear with the relay removed, your sidestand switch is contaminated and needs to be cleaned thoroughly with electronic contact cleaner. Work the plunger in and out while spraying the base of the plunger. Let it dry up for few minutes, reconnect relay and try again, if it works be sure to lube up the plunger with some silicone.

3. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

Before you do anything first check your oil level, there is a sight glass on the right side of the engine. There should be a little bubble at the top. If not then changes are good that gasoline flowed in your engine through the carbs. Not a good thing. Also smell the oil, you can smell if gas is in there.

After that it's probably time to take a further look at your carbs. Though it's not a good thing to leave your carbs on prime the carbs shouldn't be leaking if you do.

4. Toyobaru866

Should have read better, sorry just got out of bed :) you already changed your oil.

5. Toyobaru866

But it starts doesn't it? And is the bike warmed up when you try to put it in gear? How high is your idle?

6. TWitt942

TWitt942 New Member

Is the enricher the same as the choke? I’ll take a look at the side stand switch today

7. TWitt942

TWitt942 New Member

It does start, pretty easily. Choke off it idles at around 1000 rpm. I’m assuming it’s not warmed up, if I take the choke off it stays on about 15 seconds and putters off. How long should it take to warm up?

8. Toyobaru866

It takes a few minutes to warm up, maybe you need the choke (enricher) a bit longer to keep the rpm higher until the engine is warmed up and responds well on the throttle. Set the idle once warmed up to 1100 rpm. How did the bike start before the carbs flooded? Is the clutch well adjusted? 2-3mm free play at the lever.

StarGeneral likes this.
  9. Toyobaru866

10. TWitt942

TWitt942 New Member

Turns out it was mostly just me not understanding the mechanics of a 40 year old engine lol. Left the choke on and let it idle for a while and it’s running like new.
    Thanks for the help and advice guys!

StarGeneral and Toyobaru866 like this.
  11. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

I would drain the oil, It's probably full of gas. You could drain a a little oil out, after rocking the bike vigorously, into a can and see if it burns easily.

12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Sounds like a kickstand switch is not releasing completely