1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starting Circuit Cut-off Relay Advice?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Montanamoment, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Montanamoment

Montanamoment New Member

Hey y'all, been recently having trouble getting my '81 XJ550 Maxim to start. After hours probing with my multimeter, I suspect that my start circuit cut-off relay is defective. I'm very new to bikes but I determined this to be the case because my continuity came back only after I stuck in a circuit relay that I knew worked well and was not defective. I also ran multiple other tests on the relay unit(cube) and got nothing, I think it's dead but if anyone has any knowledge of the lifespan of these things please lay some wisdom on me. My logic tells me that this 40 year old part is burnt out.

So, now the challenge I am facing is that I pulled the defective start relay from the bike, as well as the kickstand relay which passed my resistance tests and was my baseline for continuity in the starter wiring, and a highly questionable headlight relay. They all look the same, but to my surprise they all have different numbers on them. Here's what I'm seeing;

Starter Circuit Relay(bad): 4H7-01 OMRON 0321D8
    Kickstand Relay(still good): 4U8-00 OMRON 0721D9
    Headlight Relay(questionable): 3H5-00 OMRON 2011D9

Having said that, Does anyone know where I can replace these parts?? - I figure the kickstand one is good but I'd like to just save myself the headache and replace all three I have out right now.

Also! do I need specific relays to match what was in there before? or will any spec 4-prong relay cubes work for the different circuits?

Thank You in advance

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you need the relay speced.
    the head light relay has a diode in it that clamps it closed once it is activated

FSM factory service manual has tests for relays.

i would doubt the side stand realy would go bad and if it did you just remove it untill you can replace it .
    many used relays out there

chacal may supply relays
    if you use online oem venders you will look under seca 550 parts as many do not list all the maxim 550 parts

4. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

The relays I have include the same numbers as above : 4h7-01, 4U8-00, 3H5-00. There are more numbers under the "omron" letters. Do they matter ?
    and will the relays function properly if the lower set of numbers don't match the original relays that came with my model. (82 xj650 seca)

5. chacal

No!

Yes!

6. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

thank you I have a box of yamaha relays from different souces with different bottom numbers. good to know that i can use them

7. chacal

Well, let me add to those statements: some of the relays changed from metal-cube relays to a slightly smaller plastic-cube relay (typically that is the difference between the -00 and the -01 versions on some of the relays), AND, on some of the relays the 4 terminals have a plastic "shroud" surrounding the terminals, while other versions of the same relay have no shroud. The relays will interchange, although the ones with this plastic "surrounding-the-terminals" shroud is designed to use a LATCHING style white plastic connector shell (the un-shrouded relay versions have no such requirement). HOWEVER, you can successfully use any style connector with any style shroud, while it's "nice" to have a latching connector shell that click-locks into a shrouded relay, it's not really necessary as the shells (latching or not) engage the terminals pretty darn tightly anyway.

And, just for gits and shiggles, the published info (electrical specs; resistances) on some of the relays change when they went from the -00 to their -01 versions, but again this will not make any difference in actual use.

Whew! Confused yet? If not, you haven't been paying close enough attention.......... :)