1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ650RJ braided front brake lines replacement- defer M/C & caliper rebuild?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by JMark, Aug 16, 2021.

1. JMark

JMark Member

Thanks to you all for making sure I replaced them!

I would like to just replace the lines, and rebuild the master cylinder and calipers this winter so I can get back on the road quickly. Is this problematic?

From the forums I saw that I could look for date codes and mine indicate 1981, so they are original. I just got the valves adjusted and now am riding more, even thinking of some longer trips with some time off coming up, but I don't want to push the old lines. I know I would have to re-bleed them when I get around to rebuilding the calipers and master cylinder, but are there other reasons not to wait?

2. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

In my opinion, if your brakes work well right now, changing the lines is the more important thing to do. Your brakes will still work as they do now without the fear of the lines causing problems.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

its great to go but better to be able to stop. replace the lines flush the system first
    the mc is a very easy rebuild

4. JMark

JMark Member

Definitely planning to replace the fluid, who knows how old it is! It looks good but holy cow if it's 40 years old too.........

How hard are the calipers?

5. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

The fluid needs replacing regularly - some say annually, I would say 3 to 5 years. Calliper rebuilds - I dunno, 10 years plus? Brake hoses are an interesting one - to change them for braided or not? I think I prefer some softness - braided can introduce a hard feel, which I don't really like?

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Prefrence is certanly something that has to be taken into account. Though that harder feel is a symptom of more mechanical advantage being applied to the brake pads instead of being used to expand the rubber lines.

7. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

I was having brake issues, stiff and unpredictable. I just did it all, even pads.
    I had a local hydraulics shop make lines at $70 CAD each x3
    I rebuilt M C super simple.
    Hardest part of calipers was getting pistons out without damage. (Compressed air, liquid wrench, time)
    After full rebuild my brakes were actually softer than before. (Probably sticky calipers)

8. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Have you just finished the work. If so might be tiny air bubbles in the fluid.

9. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

I should have elaborated
    Before I started, brakes were always very stiff if you were braking much harder than average. About half way I'd say.
    One day following a trailer that apparently had no lights, I had to make an emergency stop.
    Well at that stiff spot I was out of brakes... I squeezed harder and the lever kinda "popped" and my tire locked. I let off and rebraked as I used the center line to avoid the trailer and ended up beside the damn thing.
    The drivers look in the side mirror probably mimicked mine, panic and disbelief.
    I replaced ALL the brakes in the front!
    And now yes my brakes are softer now... and more predictable! Lol!

10. JMark

JMark Member

I am so glad this story ends with new brakes and not something worse!

Franz and Colin 85 700 like this.
  11. JMark

JMark Member

Ok. Lines installed, new DOT3, bled. I will rebuild the m/c and calipers in winter. Thanks all!

12. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

Be sure to clean out the tiny pressure relief hole in the bottom of the master cylinder if it's clogged it can cause the brakes to lock up