1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

UK 1980 XJ650 4K0 SHIMS

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tx1, Sep 3, 2021.

1. tx1

tx1 New Member

Hello, again I need a bit of help regarding the shimming of the valve clearances on my 1980 XJ650 after reading the forum and found out that the Haynes manual is incorrect regarding the tolerance required. So sitting on the bike and going right to left
    INLET:
    1 GAP= 0.13 SHIM FITTED 265 I need
    2 GAP =0.13 SHIM FITTED 250
    3 GAP =0.13 SHIM FITTED 260
    4 GAP = 0.1 SHIM FITTED 250
    ======================
    EXHAUST
    1 GAP =0.14 SHIM FITTED 265
    2 GAP =0.14 SHIM FITTED 260
    3 GAP =0.14 SHIM FITTED 260
    4 I could not find a gap on this one, not even a cigarette paper would go through so I'm going to call it 0 zero, and the shim fitted in there was a 260.
    Any help is really appreciated as always have checked the tables and think I might know what goes where! just want to be reassured before ordering the new shims and while I have it apart take it to its max tolerance
    I also found out while doing this to take the gasket off the cylinder head when using the shim tool as it can stop the shim from being removed.
    Thanks again for any help you give.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  2. DaygloDavid

DaygloDavid Active Member

I have a 1980 4K0 (UK) XJ650 which I have owned from new for the past 41 years. The bike has a full service history with the valve clearances being checked every 2,000 miles. Until 2007 and 30,000 miles, the valve clearances were checked within the franchised Yamaha dealer network. Since then, now at 54,000 miles, I've checked the valve clearances myself. In all cases, the Inlet and Exhaust clearances were checked as the same, between 0.16 - 0.20 mm or (o.oo6 - 0.008 in). Yamaha UK cannot offer any technical support but I've phoned my nearest authorised Yamaha dealer. Initially, I was quoted Inlet 0.11 - 0.15 mm and Exhaust 0.16 - 0.20 mm, when questioned, this referred to a 650T which may well be a Turbo. When supplied with the engine number, another genuine workshop manual was viewed by the dealer. This confirmed that the Inlet and Exhaust clearances are indeed the same at 0.16 - 0.20 mm. My bike runs perfectly well set up like this, I have no reason to believe it's not correct. I've asked the dealer if they can supply me with the documentary evidence but this may not be possible. Until I see anything official in writing, I'll leave well alone.

Attached Files:

3. DaygloDavid

[​IMG]

In the photos above, you can see me checking #4 inlet valve, using 0.006 & 0.008 in feeler gauges, 0.003 + 0.004 in were used together to give 0.007 in.

If the valve clearances are too tight, is there a danger when things get hot that the valve will not fully close causing running problems. I'm not going to risk reducing the inlet clearances.

4. tx1

tx1 New Member

Thanks for your advice Dave maybe that is the right spec for our UK machines much appreciated.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Respect that says all of the models is the correct specs for all the bikes. The one that says uk model and xj650j is incorrect.

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

What does the tune-up specifications decal (affixed to the inside of the plastic frame side cover) say?

7. tx1

tx1 New Member

Mine has long gone sorry to say anybody help us out with this decal photo maybe or anything on your side panels Dave.

8. DaygloDavid

I've checked my side panels and there is nothing to be seen. Have just spoken to the (UK) Yamaha dealer again, they have confirmed that for my engine number, the Inlet & Exhaust valve clearances are the same at 0.16 - 0.20 mm (0.006 - 0.008 in).

Hopefully, they are going to email me the info. from the Yamaha service manual. The Haynes manual is correct.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  9. DaygloDavid

Here is the incorrect document for my bike, you can see where the confusion comes from.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

And that's exactly why you think that the service manual is correct.