1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Yes

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Hmph...

3. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Yep, this Turbo has the Power Boost Kit. I discovered that while up under it's butt connecting stuff. I don't think the PO knew that. I should get a chance today to further test things as my dead end road is only 1/2 mile to the end and there are little kids in between. Bad manners to get too hooligan like that there. I have not yet been all the way through your Naked Seca build but what I have read is really inspiring. @Simmy.

4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

the boost controller stuff came from reading on the Turbo Forum. I experimented yesterday and saw 22 psi on the boost gauge, I believe that is where the BOV opens, waste gate was held shut.
    Definitely will be turning it down for the next ride.

5. Jetfixer

Took off on my Johnny Cash bike put on almost 100 miles, this bike runs so well . Was so different been in the 90's when I left mid 60's was a little brisk . This bike has no fairing , my yellow seca has the sports fairing so a little more comfortable riding distance.

6. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Was going to put the DIY pvc carb stand together, but tried Fitz's suggestion first, and mounted a couple intake boots to my workbench. Worked like a charm.

Attached Files:

Uxbridge Brule, biggo and Jetfixer like this.
  7. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I see you got the drain screws from @chacal . Those things are great.

8. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

I have been adding to Chacal's retirement fund over the last year starting with the front brakes and working my way back. I just installed the oil filter conversion kit yesterday as well. So much better for oil changes.

9. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

I worked on removing a failed Kreem liner from an XJ700 tank. Yuck.

10. Jetfixer

I took my yellow seca to my local yamaha dealer to show it to the owner ...he was most impressed, made me feel good. While I was there , he was helping a young guy , with a Maxim . He brought it over this evening , will need work . The kick stand broke off the tube right before he came over , the PO took off shocks and put solid bars so it is a hard tail . Loop has been cut and of course it has PODS , and exhaust collector is bad and no mufflers . I sold him my MAC exhaust system. I want to help him out .

11. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Well, after running the Maxim X 2013 or older oil for a while and the last 100 miles with some seafoam added, I drained it and removed the filter cover. Now I discover the washer between the spring and filter is missing. I need this back together so it is now a trip to the hardware store to see if I can find a suitable replacement. I'm not even sure if the spring is original because it's inside diameter is quite a bit larger than the bolt body and both ends have been ground. Figures.

12. Dan Gardner

classic

13. Jetfixer

This is the reason I upgraded to the spin on oil filter ...lol

Uxbridge Brule likes this.
  14. Jetfixer

Rode both of my bikes this evening not a long ride , but cannot decide which one runs better. Last Saturday rode the Johnny Cash bike 130 miles ran flawlessly.

Dan Gardner likes this.
  15. Jetfixer

Rode 327 miles today on the Johnny Cash bike ran great only had one problem , when I got to my daughter's house realized my auxiliary light had fallen out and was MIA :eek: ...oh well have a spare lol . The bike ran absolutely perfect 75 mph most of the way . You know carbs are right when you can overtake a car at 60 mph without down shifting .

Franz likes this.
  16. Fuller56

Congrats @Jetfixer. Well done. I put the Turbo back on the work table to figure out the fuel delivery under boost. About a mile at 5k RPM or more and it seems to use up it's fuel supply. Run at 55-60 mph and it is fine forever. Next is to get a pressure gauge tee'd in to the system and see where we are. I really hope it is not a pull the carbs again...... It sure is sweet while it has enough fuel though.

Jetfixer likes this.
  17. Jetfixer

I know carbs are spot on will start without the choke and run the snot out of bike, pull to a stop light and idle is 1100 rpm steady . Hope you can get your fuel delivery issue worked out.

18. Dan Gardner

After removing the Kreem liner, rust, and crud from the interior my XJ700N tank, I installed a Caswell epoxy liner. That is some sticky, gooey stuff. I wouldn't want to try to apply a Caswell liner with good paint on the exterior. The result is really nice though.

Then proceeded to exterior refinish. I decided to save the cost of a bead blast and just give it a good sanding.
    20210925_042541701_iOS (2).jpg

I had worked a few dents out via glue pulling, then had just some imperfections to use some filler on.

Then on to primer!
    20210925_192659449_iOS (2).jpg

The fenders had their turn in the electrolysis bath to be de-rusted too.

Topcoat may not happen until spring. At least there is no bare metal so everything is safe until I can get around to painting.

Toyobaru866 likes this.
  19. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

So long story short, I went to church 3 times this week making sure these carbs were clean as possible.
    Got the floats finally set, vacuum synched and colortuned.

installed an air box I picked up off eBay, also some crash bars and rear foot pegs.

(the airbox only took me about 5 minutes to wiggle in place after removing the right 2 intake boots and starter, those damn carb-airbox boots took me the better part of an hour to get in…)

In the process of removing the starter I must’ve hit it on something because after I put it all back together all I hear is clicking… turns out the threads you mount the starter wire to was shorting. I replaced those wimpy red washers with some thick rubber ones and it works much better now. I did all this in the parking lot of the police department before my vin inspection because I have to bond for a title.
    8B696EC1-BB41-4D1A-8CF1-317FA283C100.jpeg 537966F8-9EC4-42A4-BD4F-5CC685B2039F.jpeg

20. Fuller56

I am not a Bobber fan but that is pretty, nicely done. Having a polished tank is a tough thing, any scratch or dent will REALLY show up.

Jetfixer likes this.