1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Where to begin???

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by JSmizzle24, Sep 13, 2021.

1. JSmizzle24

JSmizzle24 New Member

I was just given an free 85 XJ700 project!

I don't have much of a mechanic background but thought it might be a fun winter project. After receiving the bike in several boxes...I'm wondering if I've bitten off more than I can chew.

Regardless, if you were in this situation, where would you begin?

I can shoot some pics if it helps, but just a general question to get started.

Appreciate it.

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

You're 1st success is to ask this question right here.
    I would suggest posting some pics but you're on top of that to.
    Take pics of everything you have, astute viewers here will be able discern if anything is missing and/or needs to be replaced.
    Make certain you can obtain an ownership for it before sinking any money into it.

3. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

+1 what @Simmy said.

I would also ask if you know any history about why it ended up in boxes in the first place.

Pics would be great.

Simmy likes this.
  4. JSmizzle24

JSmizzle24 New Member

Thank you both. I really appreciate your insight and direction.

These are the first pics...nothing really sorted out yet, but should give you an idea of where I'm starting.

Once I get everything sorted (as best as possible) I'll get some more pics.

He gave me the title and said he had purchased it about 4 years ago. When purchased, he was told the carbs were bad so he thought he'd just need to clean/tune/etc. and everything would be great. Well he took the carbs off and then just wanted to keep going to see if he could "put it back together". Then a couple of babies were made and his project just sat there for a couple of years and he lost the desire to try and put it all back together.

That's where I come in ha-ha.

So what started off as a carb rebuild has escalated to a put it back together project that I would love to complete.

Attached Files:

5. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I've seen a lot worse put back on the road. While I prefer getting a bike in one piece, looks like you got a great project for free!

hogfiddles and Franz like this.
  6. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I agree, the 1st thing I see is it has been stored inside and not outside leaning next to the wood pile.

There looks to be no reason to doubt this. Gummed up carbs are usually what keeps these things off the road.

hogfiddles likes this.
  7. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Get yourself a Yamaha OEM shop manual for your bike.
    You are probably aware but just to be sure there were are 2 different XJ700's from 85, one is water-cooled.
    Make sure you don't mistakenly buy that manual.
    The Haynes manual for XJ650/750 is cheap and a good supplement to the OEM manual.
    Sites like this https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle
    are awesome for the exploded views of understanding how all the parts fit together.

there is lots to read here on this forum, begin reading here https://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/xj-parts-catalog-section-c-fuel-system.44642/

8. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

@JSmizzle24 I sure hope you keep us up to date with your progress. Seems like a super fun project. Looks like you've got all the right pieces and they all look like they are in good shape - now you just need to figure out how to put it all together. The bike should have plenty of life left in it!

Myself, thus far I have outsourced my carb rebuilding to @hogfiddles. My XJ700N ran like garbage until Dave (@hogfiddles) did the rack for me. My experience is that the carbs are not overly complex devices, but they do require experience and precision. You can find plenty of threads on this board about problems with carbs. Depending upon your willingness to clean/install/remove/re-clean/repeat carbs, you might want to consider outsourcing. Personally, I've got so many other projects that I'm happy to trade money for expertise with the carbs. In other words, while the carbs are being rebuilt, I have plenty of other crap to do like painting or brakes or forks or valves.... At the end of the day saves a lot of frustration that is the same frustration that causes people to abandon these projects in the first place.

That's just my $.02.

I also know @hogfiddles is extremely generous with his time helping people working on their own carbs (and other projects).

And while I'm ranting, my other bit of advice would get to know Len (aka @chacal) and xj4ever.com. There is a ton of great info on xj4ever.com along with xjbikes.com. You will end up needing parts, I'm sure. You will save yourself a lot of that same frustration if you get stuff from @chacal, not trying to use cheapo crap from eBay or something like that. Len is also very generous with his time answering questions from people like us.

Anyhew, can't wait to see how it turns out.

9. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Different people would take different directions, but if this was me putting together this jigsaw, this is what I would do:-
    Build it back as it is - don't paint, polish or clean anything, the oroginal patina will help you, and you will get a complete bike quicker. This will keep your enthusiasm, and the sooner you get it making a noise the better. Then ride it round the yard to check gears etc. Electrics work, speedo etc.
    Then, bit by bit, or all together, strip and rebuild properly. I didn't look at your pics - is the engine complete? If not this is the exception - you will need to build this carefull once...
    I got my 650 seca on a pallet, no front end, tank and loads of rust. It had been outside for years. I've been down the road on it, added the missing bits etc, now it's waiting a full stripdown and rebuild.
    Good luck..
    Just looked at the pics - you've got it easy! Crack on

Franz and hogfiddles like this.