1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ4ever parts & service

Discussion in 'Reviews - Service, Online, Retail Shop' started by wrenchmaster, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Brent NZ

Brent NZ Active Member

Instead of putting the carbs on the bike I should stick them on the mantlepiece for all to admire

2. Countryboy3006

Countryboy3006 New Member

Got my parts quick and they were a perfect fit. Great service and quick responses. Thanks.

3. snapper33

snapper33 Member

I have purchased parts from Len for ~ 10 years now. I have a 1982 XJ550 with 11,000 miles on it; trying to keep it perfect, and Len helps with that. I recently had to purchase carb boots as mine were cracking (originals, not surprised). Len, as always, presented me with the options, pricing, shipping considerations up-front, and after I ordered, the parts arrived quickly. Thanks Len!

4. chrisonthestreet

chrisonthestreet New Member

Just a note to thank Len for the tremendous resource of parts (and more importantly, the associated knowledge on fitment). There are some limited sources to parts on-line, but the sellers haven't a clue on the exact fitment, let alone the nuances. This knowledge becomes priceless if your project had been tampered with in the past, or you are missing components. Len is the perfect source to guide you and obtain the right parts.
    I have just finished my XJ700 Air-cooled, and it runs like a top. With a few remaining tiny details, she'll have gone from a dusty rust bucket to a vintage show-n-shine contender.
    Thanks -- may you always be in business for us XJ fans!

msgoodwrench likes this.
  5. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

I inquired about the spin-on filter kit....emailed back next day, later I ordered carb boots, or tried to. Had 48hrs between emails detailing quote #'s which was never received till 3rd email which I had to request when my original email said clearly I wanted to place an order, shipping prices, another lengthy email...thought order was finally placed, then a PayPal email informing of a partial refund and to contact vendor for details. Another email later telling me the total was miscalculated and invoice email was to much. I'm in NO way condemning the parts, people, website or nothing, but if people have been buying for 10+ years, u would think the ordering procedure would have been streamlined by now. add an ordering page to the website outlining costs, tracking, shipping woes, and a place to input parts wanted all in one place on the site....

"I mean no harm whatsoever", just a lot of time lost to get my parts ordered. Other than that, thanks for the resource and the xj4ever member/s.
    I love constrictive criticism myself, the process is the only thing I would throw a stick at...... and again Thanks!

6. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

A big "Thank you" to Len for his excellent service.

7. Mechanic1978

I leave one message taken out of context, and I get my email blocked by xj4ever..... Seems a little hypocritical To block someone who post an honest opinion, I understand PM'ing me to try to understand the issue, and try to fix it. but just blocking a customer like that.....
    I would hate to see the response when they realize I haven't received my order.

8. Mechanic1978

Bad business practices from someone who can't handle a bad review...sorry your feelings got hurt...full interaction has been forwarded to Facebook account as well
    len.JPG

9. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Mechanic1978: if you'd like me to, I'll be glad to post on this forum the entire chain of correspondence between you and I, including date stamps, etc., so that anyone may see the true extent of our "bad business practices", and decide for themselves.

Would you like for me to do that?

10. Mechanic1978

I have nothing to be ashamed of.... Be my guest!

11. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Customer is allways right @chacal ?

12. Mechanic1978

No not always, I just had a not so great experience with an online retailer, I left my opinions in my review without being to mouthy. I'm not badmouthing anyone, I'm just an honest person, and this is the day and age of the "online reviews". I read everyone's reviews seen mostly good, and a few updated reviews from others. I only ordered based on this sites perception and reviews. Order process was a bit more sketchy than I would have liked, but based on recommendations from here so I placed an order.

I Left my honest but easy opinion of my experience which most businesses would/are happy to receive, then I have a question about another part I though about ordering, and come to find my email had been blocked. ?? Only reason I can think of is my review ticked someone off, so I'm thinking my review Hurt their feelings enough to block me? I thought whatever, I will wait for my current order and call it done.

I have my own customer base of approx. 200 over my years with about 40 reoccurring frequent return customers, and I would go to hell and back, or take a little loss on costs to make sure they left satisfied with my work. But I get not everyone can take constructive criticism. This appears to be that case to me.

I mean no disrespect then or now. For the record, I posted reviews for past and future customers, he made the decision to call me out like I done something wrong and to air it out here. I would have preferred an email from them to work any issues out for them feeling they needed block my email communication to them..

I get tracking info saying "damaged parcel return to sender" and that basically tells me it was a crappy packing job. 10yrs in business they should know by now that parcel companies are rough on packages.... Then on ordering email account, I ask why its in this phase of shipping after paying a "premium cost" option specifically for shipping and expedition of shipment. I get the notice I posted above. Canceled order with no option to re order and blocked.

Now like I said I have no intention of any ill will, just sharing my experience with fellow forum members (like everyone else has done). I get treated as such for a review they did not like. I'm sure they/he will have a rebuttal, however I have not lied what so ever and stand behind my final review of "Bad business practices"
    For one you don't run a business based on personal feelings, it will never last, and at this point I've spent more man hours time than I feel the situation is worth. However I will entertain an email communication from them/him with possibility of a redemption review.

13. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Okay, let's start here, just so the "stage can be set". Although that is a common (and in my opinion, absolutely incorrect) refrain, I think it puts things in the wrong light. In my world, there are no "customers", there are only people. People differ, in any number of ways, good or bad, and on a wide spectrum of issues. This is of course a fact of life, and as a businessperson --- and one who has very little direct, eye-to-eye interaction with our customers --- I can only make (when I do, which isn't often) judgements about the nature and character of a person by how they interact with me, both privately, and on forums such as this.

So can customers (individuals) be always right? Of course not. I'm sure anyone and everyone can think of a thousand-and-one ways in which a person can be "wrong" in their interaction with another (be it another person or a business), so there's no need to go into detail nor give examples. However, I'll point out that one of the ways that I make a judgement of "wrong" is if the words and actions of the person seem to be based, especially over time, upon duplicitous, deceptive, disrespectful, or flat-out lying behaviors.

Okay, now onto better things.

I can find no record of you having inquired with us, via e-mail or any other means, about such a subject. Are you sure?

NOTE: all times referenced are the times shown on our e-mails, which are Eastern Time, which will be the same time as for Mechanic1978, as Indiana is also on Eastern Time. However, I suspect that his timestamps will differ by 2-3 hours, since he might be posting from a device that is calibrated to Mountain or Pacific Coast time..........I only point this out in case the "time" issue comes into question later on.

SUNDAY, JULY 4, 2021:

You e-mailed us on July 4th (yes, that day) in regards to an intake manifold set and your e-mail was received by us at 4:54pm. Due to other obligations on that day, and at that time, I was not able to respond to you for almost 2-1/2 hours (!) --- on a Sunday, and a national holiday at that.

So at 7:19pm on Sunday, July 4, 2021 I responded to you with the typical "lengthy e-mail" --- that we are known far and wide for ---- which describes fully what the ordering process is, what the payment terms and methods are that are available for ordering, what delivery options and prices are, etc., etc. This includes the quote number, etc. All of the people who have ever contacted us since 2007 have received this same basic e-mail, since it outlines everything, in excruciating detail, but.......how else are we supposed to be thorough about such things and ensure that you have all the information that you might or should need to know?

I know that you received this e-mail, because you almost immediately responded to us 1/2-hour later (7:54pm on Sunday evening), with a copy of the original e-mail from us attached, and quoting verbatim what the shipping charge was that had been outlined in that original e-mail from us to you. It was a little bit perplexing that you also inquired about a quote number, since you already had one (again, in the original e-mail from us to you), but perhaps you did not get time to actually read the e-mail, and that is why you asked for us to again provide this info to you, "ASAP" as you noted in your response.

Which we did a little over 2 hours later, at 10:01pm on Sunday night, with a brief order summary that listed the details of what you wanted to order and which shipping method and optional services you desired, and calculated a grand total for you, which was erroneous (we "overcharged" you by $ 9.00 in the total).

MONDAY, JULY 5, 2021:

You then paid us via Paypal at 10:16am on Monday July 5th. As we went to process the order, we then noticed that we had overcharged you.....even though you had also overlooked that mistake on our part, too.....so we immediately refunded you the $ 9.00, with a note to you explaining that the refund was for the overpayment. This refund occurred at 11:55am that day. You responded 1-1/2 hours later, at 1:26pm, asking "what is the refund for?", and we replied at 1:50pm explaining the reason for the refund, and noting that the order was being readied for shipment and would be delivered to UPS in the next hour or so.

The package was consigned to UPS at 3:16pm that day (Monday, July 5th, 2021) and you were informed by us via e-mail at 6:17pm that your order had been shipped, and provided the tracking number.

TUESDAY JULY 7, 2021:

On Tuesday, as is normal with expedited shipments, we checked the status of the shipment and noted that there was a warning message on our UPS system "There is a problem with this delivery.", so we inquired with UPS as to the nature of the problem and they replied that the shipment had been damaged (which is odd, as the intake manifolds are basically indestructable within the transport system; you would have to run over them with a truck or jam them within a conveyor system to actually damage them), so we instructed them to return the package to us (which, by the way, they have not yet done).

We were planning on replacing this shipment to you the next day, but after your earlier post (#945 above) that not only bashed us, was not only deceptive and dishonest in its reporting, but was of such a slanderous nature (while all the while pretending that all this deception and dishonesty was "constructive criticism that you love"), we figured, why bother? This is a person not deserving of our time and effort.

Once we realized that the shipment was actually not delivered by UPS (they now say they have lost it and it won't be returned to us, after all, which we confirmed with them on Monday, July 12 just prior to Noon-ish), we immediately refunded you in full for the remaining $ 131.00 via Paypal at 11:55 am on Monday July 12th, and notified you via e-mail that you had been refunded (at 12:38pm) in response your Sunday, July 11th e-mail to us asking "where is it?".

It was the only message that you left, up to that point in time, and the context was quite clear.

Your e-mail has not been blocked --- as you know full well --- since we replied to your e-mail of Sunday, July 11 on Monday, July 12th at 12:38pm.

Isn't that true?

I'm confused, are you referring to me or you?

1) "Had 48hrs between emails detailing quote #'s which was never received till 3rd email which I had to request...."

2) "I'm in NO way condemning the parts, people, website or nothing, but if people have been buying for 10+ years, u would think the ordering procedure would have been streamlined by now...."

3) ""I mean no harm whatsoever, just a lot of time lost to get my parts ordered."

QUESTION: are you referring to the 2-1/2 hours on Sunday, July 4th that it took to respond to you in full and complete detail about the ordering process, inventory status, pricing, shipping options, etc., or is it the additional 2 hours it took us to re-respond to you with the same info in a truncated (order summary) form, also on July 4, 2021?

Or is it the fact that we got your order shipped less than 24 hours after your initial contact with us on a Sunday / on a national holiday?

4) "Bad business practices from someone who can't handle a bad review...sorry your feelings got hurt."

Trust me, you can't hurt my feelings.

5) "then I have a question about another part I though about ordering, and come to find my email had been blocked."

Your e-mail was not blocked, and you know that is true because I responded to your e-mail of Sunday, July 11th, with your original message attached......which you conveniently cut off from your image post above.

6) "I mean no disrespect then or now. ..........I would have preferred an email from them to work any issues out for them feeling they needed block my email communication to them.......I get tracking info saying "damaged parcel return to sender" and that basically tells me it was a crappy packing job. 10yrs in business they should know by now that parcel companies are rough on packages."

Well, in those almost 15+ years that we've been in business, I can count on one hand how many shipments have been damaged in transit, and that includes shipping a good many parcels 3/4 of the way around the world (Australia, New Zealand, even Tasmania) and guess what, sometimes bad things happen, and it may not be due to our negligence, but thanks for the "lack of disrespect".....again.

As you may have noticed in those e-mails (that you didn't get around to reading very closely), we spent quite a bit of time and space/words outlining the current situations concerning carrier delivery performance; it's not just a transport-time problem, it's also handling issues, and unfortunately we cannot gorilla-proof every package (neither you nor I could afford the shipping costs).

And although I feel bad that the situation happened to you (or anyone), note that I refunded you anyway, in full, even though you didn't purchase the optional package insurance, and even before we have any idea whether UPS will re-imburse us for this situation.

But thanks for the insight into our packaging practices --- and correct me if I'm wrong here ---- even though you:

a) never saw the package.

b) and thus, never knew exactly how we packaged it.

but you're kind enough to "share with fellow forum members" the opinion that it was a "crappy packing job" and we should "know by now" how to package simple items properly.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: You got two strikes more than I allow others, mainly because I felt bad for you since you got fooled by the cheap quality intake manifolds that you purchased off eBay (or wherever). We went out of our way to provide you with exceptional service, and in response, before you even received the order (!) , you were quite busy "not badmouthing anyone."

We don't do business in the way that you have treated us, and therefore we don't do business with people who treat us like that, but thank you for all of your very revealing comments.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Beck likes this.
  14. StarGeneral

StarGeneral Active Member

Always had a great experience buying from Len. Some people complain about the cost, but the reality is if you get something from Len you don't have to worry about getting a sub-par product, or something that doesn't fit. He's also a great resource if you have questions about your parts, and no other seller can beat that level of service. Go with XJ4Ever!

Beck likes this.
  15. msgoodwrench

msgoodwrench New Member

You did it once again, Chacal!! and once again, many, many thanks! Spot-on knowledge of what I needed, a list of OEM and aftermarket parts to pick from (with prices) and all the extra added knowledge tidbits that go with these parts. I will never understand how you managed to put all this information together; I shake my head every time!! From emailing Len asking for parts info to receiving parts - Thursday night to Tuesday's mail! Very fast! So, I thank you once again, Len! You're the best, I know I can trust the parts and info I get from you.

16. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

For those reading the above "bad report," and that are new, or have never ordered from Chacal (xj4ever), please believe me when I say I have never had anything but great service, correct parts, fast shipping, fair price, and more important to me, after sale support from XJ4Ever/Chacal.

For example, he was readily available for my stupid, basic questions while rebuilding my front brakes for the first time.

17. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Len, again "THANK YOU" for your swift, reliable service, I am a happy camper.

18. Christopher McTavish

Christopher McTavish Member

The parts (throttle shaft seals and washers) were spot on and exactly what I was looking for. Thank you Len
    Good and fast especially considering shipping during this pandemic thing.
    Again Thank you.

Attached Files:

19. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Len, again superior service. You sell more than parts; you provide knowledge better than a service manual. Thank you.

20. Danny De Leon

Danny De Leon New Member

This was my first time using this site to order parts and I must say, I will definitely be using this site from now on! The fuse box I ordered for my 82 Maxim was packaged very well so it wouldn't get damaged. Also, the delivery time was spot on. Len led me through the whole buying process and answered all my questions quickly too. I definitely recommend this site :)

hogfiddles likes this.