1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Replacing stock handlebars

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Aaron Filmer, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Aaron Filmer

Aaron Filmer New Member

2. Berserker

Berserker Member

3. Aaron Filmer

Aaron Filmer New Member

I measured from the mounting screw on the ones that are on mine now to where it 90’s to go to the handle and it measures 7” and I did the conversion on those ones that I posted and it is 7.17”

Attached Files:

4. Berserker

Berserker Member

Try to measure your cables with a fabric tape if you’ve got one. If not, run string, cut it to size and measure. Remember you don’t want the cables right. But it is Amazon, you could always return it.

5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

How will you keep those mounts from rotating / twisting within the upper steering bracket?

6. Aaron Filmer

Aaron Filmer New Member

There was a thread some where on here where someone used Yamaha virago mounts which correct me if I am wrong but are pretty much the same as these its the cut with the top plate with a single bolt that goes back down thru the hole that mounts them to the top mounting plate ?
    I’m new to modification and all that so that by no means is a sarcastic comment or anything it was a legit question

Attached Files:

7. Aaron Filmer

Aaron Filmer New Member

8. chacal

Well, those are like the Virago (also the XJ750 Seca) mounts, but............on those models, the crown bracket has a half-circle "recess" cast into the crown bracket which the handlebars sits into......this area is in-between the two mounts you have shown..............and this short (2-3" long) section of the crown bracket where the round bar actually sits into is what prevents the bar from being able to move independently of those mounts.......the XJ750 Maxim has no such provision in the crown bracket, even after you remove the "splined stubs" that the stock bar lowers fit into.......there's no "anti-rotation" feature built into the risers on the Virago/Seca/Amazon-eBay risers, and no matter how much you torque them down to the crown, the movement of the bar will tend to WANT to twist things about, which I would consider a rather unsafe situation.

9. chacal

You can see what I'm talking about on the 750 Seca crown bracket.....the area between the mount holes is recessed and the handlebars actually drop down into that recess and thus there is no "wiggle" possible...

www.ebay.com/itm/265033097143?epid=1211879807

10. Aaron Filmer

Aaron Filmer New Member

So this is the crown off a 1083 Yamaha virago and there are no “anti rotation” divots, half circles or anything else I can see where the risers mount so what prevents them from spinning and twisting ? I’m not trying to make this a debate just trying to understand why this wouldn’t work on our model bikes but have worked on other production models ? And the second picture is from a Harley Davidson. I’m just confused as to why other manufactures it’s worked for but the xj750 maxim it won’t ?

Attached Files:

11. chacal

Those are exceptional questions and I don't know the answers to them! All that I'm familiar with are the Seca mounts and crown bracket, and the design/features of the crown bracket and the recessed "holder" for the handlebars was intentional by Yamaha (as it was on the Virago crown bracket), so I'm just guessing what that intention was.........and my best guess is that two points of attachment (the risers) cannot prevent a twisting or torquing action (motion/movement) from occurring, a third point of restriction must be present, and that is the purpose of the recess.

We've actually looked at making a "round handlebar replacement" kit for the 1982 XJ750 Maxim (also the XJ1100; same bars) since a number of people want to go with more standardized 7/8" round bars, and immediately ran into this issue......how do you prevent the rotation of the Seca/Virago style risers? I realize that you can torque the dog-snot out of the risers to the crown bracket, and hope that will suffice in a high-load (emergency) maneuvers, but we weren't comfortable making/marketing such a design. And you can't swap a Seca crown bracket for the Maxim bracket (or even the 1983 XJ750 Maxim crown bracket, which is already designed for round bars), so you're kinda stuck in that regard, too.

12. Berserker

Berserker Member

On a few Harleys, and my 79 Kz750 the handle bars I’ve have seen either had little splines pressed into the bars at the mounting area or a sort flare at the grip area that basically deforms into place.