1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ750 Starter Clutch Replacement...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bike-man-man, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

If you are trying to get the rotor off the shaft, you need to tap on the shaft with a hammer (not too hard) and the rotor will pop off. Be prepared to catch it.

chacal likes this.
  2. nothinbutjets

nothinbutjets New Member

so I just put something in that hole? like a bolt and then tap it with a hammer? All these videos are saying to find a long bolt, thread it in a bit and tap it on the end. sounds like a similar process, but Im not having any luck.

3. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Don't need to put anything in the hole.

A few taps on the end of the shaft has worked for me. Where the rotor sits on the end of the shaft is conical, so just enough of a tap to break it loose is all it needs. It will just kind of fall off.

I would suggest starting with a light tap, gradually getting harder until it falls off - shouldn't be anywhere near enough force to damage the shaft.

4. Rob Bowdish

Rob Bowdish New Member Premium Member

5. Rob Bowdish

Can you assist me where to get a starter clutch and or parts I have a 1983 750 maxim which sounds like something is trying to escape my engine, than I have an 1982 750 seca I just picked up for $300.00 ,and the starter spins and 8 gear nothing engaging.

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Rob Bowdish and Jetfixer like this.
  7. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

See my post on the dreaded starter clutch , I have done two of these now . As far as parts yes xj4ever is best source , but I bought a repair kit off of eBay one was from England with heavier springs and drilled caps and new rollers. The other was a caltric starter clutch assembly.

Rob Bowdish likes this.
  8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

A handy guide to not rebuilding your slipping starter clutch.

9. Rob Bowdish

Hello well I've replaced a couple starter clutches on an xj750 maxim and a Seca both 1983 and I just pulled the engine, laid the engine on its back ,removed the oil pan ,clutch assembly cover as well as the the clutches and basket, on this side if the engine there is a flat retainer with 2 screws holding it,they need removed,on the left side of the engine there will be a small cover under the starter ,also with 2 screws in it this also will need removed.Once these are removed and the oil pan is removed you'll need a brass punch to push the shaft out of the the starter clutch assembly, just observe all pieces, oh it takes a little patience to put the new one in .