1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

rear suspension on 1981 xj550 broke twice in two months

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by milos nesic, Sep 17, 2021.

1. milos nesic

milos nesic New Member

755521AB-94C9-4CD2-94A6-BCF47234B9F1.png EFAB0B62-E5DE-4D46-9E77-732981643702.jpeg 0AAC278B-61DA-43DA-9C22-2BFAF35953C7.jpeg E15974FA-E111-4623-96B8-2A726E67F435.jpeg C7554C9A-3B1C-487F-BC43-7057233C176C.jpeg

Hi everyone I am new to forum. I have 1981 xj550. In original state no modofications, as long as my mechanic and I know, don’t know what previous owner did but it doesn’t look like he did any. Two months ago I came to my parents house and lifted the bike on stand and after a while wanted to put it down, and as I did it both rear suspensions broke and bike droped to the ground.(luckily it didn’t happen while riding) I had spare ones I got from the owner when I bought the bike so I changed them, also old ones. Drove it all good. Until today when it happened but this time while riding with my girl in the back, again luckily small street low speed turning right. I managed the bike stoped and saw that this time one suspension broke, right one. I am uploding the images to have more clear picture what happened.
    Please if someone had or heard for such a issue to shine some light why this happened in such a short time and any help to understand why will help a lot. I understand that it can be material “tired” from age but two times in short time frame?! Must say very weird and also in shock! Haha thats a funny one “shock” :))
    Thank you everyone for help ❤️

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Hello and welcome! My first thought is that aftermarket rack/pannier is bolted right up against the eye on the top of the shock. In stock form the shock can pivot on the bushing allow it to move when needed. Having that rack tight against it would prevent it from moving so you’re going to add stresses where the rod attaches to the top piece. Through another set on and ride without the rack or put the washer between the rack and shock and add another outer washer.

Franz, k-moe and JCH like this.
  3. milos nesic

milos nesic New Member

Hi and thank you very much for quick replay and welcoming me! Also thx for the answer, I didn't realize this could be the problem. But it makes sense.
    I will do as suggested. Now I just need to find new suspensions, I ran out of spare one :))
    Any suggestion which ones to take?
    Thank you one more time and hope this is the issue.

4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Used should be easy to find, for new there are many riders here happy with Progressive brand shocks.

5. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

The bottom bolt on the shock is not original . Make sure that the shock can pivot. I think that the shock bottom bolt is a shoulder bolt.

milos nesic likes this.
  6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Since your in Europe I was looking a a nice set on eBay from Italy at one time . As I recall price was not bad , but I don't know what shipping would cost . Good luck

7. milos nesic

milos nesic New Member

Thanks for info. good to know :)
    Everything helps!

8. milos nesic

milos nesic New Member

Thanks for replay. Its almost impossible to find here in Serbia some universal ones. I saw the same on eBay. Will look into it.