1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starting/Running Turn off Then No turn over and seized ?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by DADSGETNDOWN, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Hmmm, now I believe my maxim has this - but really, it’s not logical? Surely the rh mirror should have a rh thread to stop it unscrewing? And vice versa of course?

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Maybe the reasoning was if it fell over on the RH side the threads would unscrew instead of breaking the mount.
    From my dirt biking practice I keep everything just snug, not cranked tight just incase of minor mishaps.

chacal likes this.
  3. DADSGETNDOWN

DADSGETNDOWN New Member

See My Above Comment/Question

4. DADSGETNDOWN

DADSGETNDOWN New Member

Can I connect the two Red/White Wires together and use my bike ? and Leave them connected ? Until I can find a relay or whatever.

5. DADSGETNDOWN

DADSGETNDOWN New Member

Hmm, I have 2 messages here that haven't been answered, I wonder if all those knowledgeable people are still around.
    Now, this will be a third thing I am working on.
    Clutch makes a TON of noise with clutch out (disengaged), pull the lever in and it gets quite a bit quieter, but, is still pretty noisy, magnifying through the lower end. What's are the most likely couple of things going on ? I know they are a bit noisy anyway, I read through the Clutch area in the vendor section and did all of the setting the plates 12-2-4-6 etc.

6. Minimutly

Doesn’t have to be the clutch making the noise - it could be one of the gearbox input shaft bearings. My vmax too makes a dull, rumbly noise which goes away when I pull the clutch lever.
    There are a couple of bearings in there - the main needle roller that the basket spins on, and the smaller one that sits inside the oil pump sprocket. It could be the main needle bearing, unlikely you’d hear the oil pump one - however, they do wear - the one on my seca project had worn flats on each needle roller...

Franz likes this.
  7. DADSGETNDOWN

DADSGETNDOWN New Member

Hey there Minimutly, Thanks for the reply. Can you find it in the Parts Vendor section for this xj550 ? I looked but not sure which section it is in nor what they call that Main Needle Bearing. Not exactly sure which you are talking about as I haven't been into the Clutch, motor or trans that far.

8. Minimutly

The clutch basket spins on the gearbox input shaft, on a needle bearing about 2 inches in diameter. The oil pump sprocket (which drives the oil pump) also spins on this shaft. The shaft itself has a bearing or rather two, of the gearbox main bearings.
    All this on the 650, and I’m sunning myself in Cyprus, so nowhere near a manual for a 550.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Bearing was worn on my 900f. Basket spins on it. Don't have a picture of the 550 unfortunately. Clutch had a screeching noise because of worn needle roller bearing.

Bearing Spacer and Basket.jpg

Basket and Bearing.jpg

10. DADSGETNDOWN

DADSGETNDOWN New Member

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Can you post a video of the engine running we might hear the noise. Put your ear against the handle of a long screwdriver and the other end on the clutch case you might hear where the noise is coming from. I don't think it's your shift mechanism bearing.

12. Minimutly

DB26E15D-4622-4CD8-8D5C-4CF4F6160D3E.png Just solved the mystery of not finding the bearing - you don’t have one on the 550...
    So, suspect the bush in the middle of the basket, or gearbox bearings.
    Edit, either way it’s time to pull the basket to have a look, clutch should be quiet and smooth.

Franz likes this.
  13. DADSGETNDOWN

DADSGETNDOWN New Member

Nice, Thank you for the information AND ALL the work.
    Now, Where do I find the bushing/s ? I don't seem to see them in the "Vendor" List. Come to think of it, my Basket did have some play in it.

14. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

if you hit something (person)with the mirror it will fold in it is a safety thing. same reason the blinkers are on flexable stays

15. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

email him at info@xj4ever.com