1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ modification of last end

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Petar, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Petar

Petar New Member

Hello. I have XJ 900 and i replaced the complete last end with a cardan model of a recent model (XJ Diversion). I made that because I wanted better brakes and wider tire, and now I have a problem with a shock absorber, and my opinion is that the shock absorber doesn't stand at the right angle. Diversion has one central shock absorber and it doesnt have holders for two absorbers like in XJ. What should i do about that if someone could tell me? I dont want to weld holders for shock absorber. Thank you in advance

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Weld holders for shock absorber....

k-moe likes this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Single shock conversions have been done to earlier XJ models. No matter what, you will be welding.

4. Minimutly

Yes, welding will be needed. The trend these days is for a large single shock angled forwards and upwards, but that needs substantial framework, the 900 is stronger than the 650 tube, but still not what would be needed for the forces. It also ends up in your battery or air box. If you could source a shock, then add in the tubes to anchor it, a single would look nice. Kawasaki did it, and I saw a Yamaha v twin with an even bigger one last week, but can't recall the model. The 900 diversion swing arm is plenty strong enough. How did you make it fit - cut and weld? IMG_0147.PNG

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Would take some work but I've always tought a Virago 920 swing arm with the Uni track would be something that could be set up .

6. Minimutly

7. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Another option is to make the 17" Divvy rear wheel work with your early XJ900 swing arm.
    @Mezzmo has videos on YouTube illustrating the mods to keep the Divvy wheel centred.

How did you get this far without realizing you're combining parts from a mono-shock bike to one with 2 shocks?
    Frankly, welding a tab to the swing arm is not a big deal, however I suspect the Divvy swing arm might be longer which would extend the wheel base.
    Have you compared the lengths of the 2 swing arms?

It looks like the Divvy final drive still has the boss cast into it for the LH shock mount so it is only the RH mount you need to fabricate.
    The early 900 final drive might even bolt to the Divvy swing arm then one shock mount is done.
    If indeed the Divvy swing arm is longer then you have more issues and it would be best to stick with the early 900 swing arm.

Divvy final drive
    Divy final.jpg

early 900 final drive
    XJ900 final.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  8. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

seems @skylrk62 had already been looking at mounting this swingarm in his turbo special.
    The swing arm is way too long.
    If you're determined to mount a 17" wheel then combining it with your early 900 swing arm is the best approach.
    Here are pics of a Divvy 900 swing arm in an XJ1100, I'll reserve my true comment except to say that it looks...different.

18694667071_28f6b39b45_o.jpg

18694667081_7596c63f9e_o.jpg

9. Minimutly

The divvy swingarm is indeed about 4 inches longer than the 900f. The divvy wheel can be made to fit the 900f swingarm - a bit of machining here and there, some shimming etc. The final drives are the same except for the position of the shock mounting, so you should use the one matching the "other side"...
    If @Petar has fitted a divvy swingarm some serious cutting and welding has allready taken place, so welding some tabs should be neither here nor there.
    8 answers so far and nothing from the OP.......