1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What is needed to put a 1981 XJ750 Seca engine into a 1983 XJ750 Maxim?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Dads83, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Dads83

Dads83 New Member

The starter clutch is out on my '83 Maxim. Instead of changing the clutch, I was thinking about just putting in a different engine. I found one that is fairly local and has about 20k miles. I think the frame mounts are different between the engines. What else is different?

I plan to use the exhaust, carbs, carb boots, and my starter from the 83 on the 81.
    Thank you, Joe

Attached Files:

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

the engine case with the shifter is different. They can be transferred from Maxim to Seca or vice versa.

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Jetfixer and Timbox like this.
  4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

20210711_180408.jpg Honestly it is not real difficult to split the case and replace rollers and springs in the starter clutch. The only special tool required is some torx bits , a 30mm socket for the clutch nut . I used a pallet which makes it easy to keep from marring case . The parts needed clutch cover gasket, side cover gasket, starter clutch repair kit , oil pan gasket, tube of Yamabond, red /blue locktite .Possibly the chain guide , I did two of these now first one took me 8 days. Second three see my thread the dreaded starter clutch , I have pictures of the inside of the engine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

6. Dads83

Dads83 New Member

K-moe,
    I should have mentioned that I have replaced the starter with a new OEM unit. The battery is a month old and I also replaced the starter solenoid since it had corrosion. I have tried Yamalube 10w-40, did the seafoam treatment and now and running Maxima 10w-30 synthetic motorycle oil. The starter clutch has gotten better but its a real pain to start when hot. When its cold, the clutch engages just fine.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  7. Dads83

Dads83 New Member

I might have to give it a try then. I have plenty of tools and mechanical knowledge. I've put a new timing chain set in my '93 Z/28 last year and it has been running fine.
    Where at in Indiana are you? I grew up in Bremen and now live near Bloomington.

8. Jetfixer

I'm from Plainfield, but live in northern Indiana. Hey noticed your reply to Kmoe synthetic oil seems to be the starter clutch killer , I recommend Shell 15/40 diesel oil . If you did a timing chain , you can do this task. It takes about an hour to pull the engine , and slightly longer to reinstall ...it will take less repairing your engine than modifying a different engine , and this raises another issue , the engine you want to swap could have a week starter clutch as well .

Franz likes this.
  9. Dads83

Dads83 New Member

I'll give another oil a shot. The Shell oil is probably about $20 so its no big loss if it doesn't work.

10. Jetfixer

If you decide to replace the starter clutch , you can IM me I will try to answer any questions. I know one of my engines the starter clutch would slip if engine was hot . I bought another engine was good for two years and it started to slip even cold . I have fixed both engines now so I have a spare engine now . When you get starter clutch out and see how simple it is after 30 plus years , the springs get weak , and rollers can be galled .

Dads83 likes this.
  11. Dads83

Dads83 New Member

Thanks for the offer to help. I'm thinking this will be a winter project.