1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Aftermarket XJ550 Mufflers

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Antothoro, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Antothoro

Antothoro Member

My mufflers have holes in them. Looking for aftermarket options. Nothing that is too flashy or different from the OEM. What do ya'll use?

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Harley Davidson's sportster mufflers can be used .

3. Barb

Barb New Member

Did you by chance do this yourself or see it in person? Are you familiar with how much fab or altering is needed?

Jetfixer likes this.
  4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I have seen it , from what I know they should slip onto the collector, a bracket will need to be fabricated to mount to the footrest bracket.

Barb likes this.
  5. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

55D48C60-3AB2-47AA-91C0-DDCF8DD41A20.jpeg 6365E153-3616-4530-A4E1-B111E1D8B420.jpeg I slipped 2 Harley sportster mufflers on mine with no modifications.

these are from much earlier in my build but had the best angle on the mufflers

The rear foot peg brackets mount up just fine too, I installed those after those pics

I also really like the sound, louder then stock but it still sounds stock.. if that makes sense

6. Barb

Barb New Member

7. Antothoro

Antothoro Member

@Noahsxj those look great. I'm doing some searching and those look like the OEM mufflers. Maybe I can get a pair off someone who upgraded.... Would you mind posting some more pictures of those with the foot pegs mounted up and all?

8. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

If you haunt your local H-D dealership you might find a skip full of take-off mufflers around the back.
    H-D owners like fitting louder ones, and the old ones have no real value. Which is great, as we can use them.
    I've got a pair of Dyna mufflers on my XJ9 and I'm quite impressed by the build quality of them.
    I also used another Dyna muffler on my GS when I was setting up the Delkovic system.

Jetfixer likes this.
  9. Antothoro

Antothoro Member

@Noahsxj, curious about how you mounted the mufflers to the frame. Any issues there?