1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Drive Shaft Problem

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by DickMaximo, Nov 6, 2021.

1. DickMaximo

DickMaximo New Member

Long story short, took my xj around for a couple days. Brought it to a shop to see if they could look her over and when I got her back she started clanking in what felt like under the engine, like something was caught. I got her home, took the driveshaft and sway arm off, and found the bolts (aren't in the pics below) pitted and knocked around. One was stuck, and while the others I took out, the one in the bottom left of the picture was still stuck. Anyways I have an air die grinder and the tooling to take it out, but before I went further I wanted to see what people think. Is the bike ruined? Can I drill the bolt out and then tap a bigger bolt? And if I can, what bolt size would you recommend?

Attached Files:

2. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Member

Was browsing on eBay parts forxj650 and saw the assembly that is damaged on yours. Hope this helps.

3. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

From the picture it looks like some of the flange is worn off, and is so I would first look for a replacement. If not then remove the bolt and see if you can clean the threads. Tapping a slightly larger bolt might work as long as it is not so heavy that it will be out of balance and cause some vibration. If it turns out to be unusable you might try using a wire welder and adding a little metal and then re-tap it for the correct bolt.

4. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

I’ve got a spare if you need it. Just cost of shipping AB5D40CC-F648-4C3B-BF06-C15014BD82ED.jpeg

Huntchuks and Jetfixer like this.
  5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

To replace , you have to pull the left side cover , remove the flange bolts , loosen the two 12mm bolts above on the case and it will be tight but you should be able to remove the drive , note there are some thin shims , these have to be reinstalled .

Franz likes this.
  6. DickMaximo

DickMaximo New Member

well damn guys thanks for the advice! Yeah dan I'll contact you about the part!

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I am interested in what the shop had to say about that? You took it in and it was no like that but when you got the bike back it has a new noise and this damage. Hmmm

chacal likes this.
  8. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Does anybody know how interchangeable the drive shaft parts are?

I've got the flange and u-joint from an XJ700N. Looks identical to the XJ750J, but part numbers are different.

Photo of XJ700N part:

9. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

I know from experience the drive shaft parts from the middle drive gear back to the diff (which is different because of the shock location) are different from a xj750 to an xj900... I tried a straight swap for the middle drive gear and ended up doing everything past it.

Sorry, not exactly what you are talking about but if the part numbers don't match I doubt it will be a match.