1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700X shims needed or swap

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by Huntchuks, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, after checking with Hogfiddles on what he can supply, I have a list if shims I still need.
    This list has the between sizes as well as the 1/2 sizes so anything in the range is useful.
    Qty Size
    1 165
    1 167-170
    1 168-170
    1 170
    1 172-175
    2 173-175
    2 175
    1 175-177

I also have five zero clearance measurements and don't know for sure if the shims included in the above ranges will be ok until installed and rechecked. If not used will be returned.
    1 160
    5 165
    3 170

Any shims to be swapped will have equal number returned after discussion about which you would like, if available.
    Please keep me from buying shims!

2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Let me check my stash...

Huntchuks likes this.
  3. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Surprised there are so many with lower numbers you need.

I checked my shim "collection" and all I have left are the 180 and up shims.
    I do remember having to purchase some of the low ones, and it does add up,
    and hopefully you'll have some luck, on a least a few.

Tony

4. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

All I’ve got is 188+

5. Huntchuks

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be ordering a boatload of shims tomorrow. Last chance for someone to read this.

6. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Only ones I have are 175 only one and bigger last one I serviced needed 8 new shims @$15us each

7. Huntchuks

Thanks for looking. Keep it for yourself or someone else.

8. Huntchuks

For anyone's information, if shims for X's or Fazers need to be bought and you are not in a hurry, check out this site:
    http://www.precisionshims.com.au/
    Located in Australia, their prices are reasonable and sizes can be had in increments of .01 mm (ex. 180, 181, 182 etc) just like the Yamaha originals.
    Ordered 19 total, with 9 alternates for the zero clearance valves, for AU$9.00 each. Slowest shipping is AU$26.00 and insurance is AU$4.00 for a total of AU$200.00. At current currency conversion rates the total for each shim is under US$8.00 each.

9. Huntchuks

For those who might wonder, the shims have a hardness of 64 Rockwell C. I'd like to know what the Yamaha shims test to.

10. xHondaHack

Huntchuks,
    Did you get the shims you ordered yet?
    I got a response when I entered all the ones I needed, and wanted to select the standard shipping for my order like you did.
    Curious to know if the (very expensive) $85 UPS shipping charge was necessary?

Thanks,
    Tony

11. Huntchuks

Hi Tony, shipping is very screwed up due to covid and other issues. I used standard shipping. The shims were shipped on Oct 21st and reached the MELBOURNE AIRPORT VIC on the 22nd. The shims left the airport on Nov. 5th and arrived in L.A. on the 6th. Waiting now to clear customs and ship across country. I was a little upset about the long wait at the Australian airport and actually opened an inquiry on Nov. 4 but that was fruitless. If you are not in a hurry, use Standard.

12. xHondaHack

Thanks for the info, and technically I'm not in a hurry.

Currently I'm in the process of two engine builds that I won't get much time with until after the holidays.
    I was just curious about how long the standard shipping might take, so I didn't have to step it up to the $85 UPS shipping fee.

Tony

13. Huntchuks

Two rebuilds? How many shims did you need?

14. xHondaHack

Don't know yet?
    Had no shims below .180 in my stash, and likely need more that are less than that size after lapping in the valves. (That's 40 valves between the 2 heads!)

Tony

15. Huntchuks

The shims came in and I have checked about half for accuracy so far. One 170 shim (1.70 mm) measured at 169 (1.69 mm). Also checked the six 185's that Dave sent to me and one actually measured 1.84 mm and another was 1.83 mm. So far, the Australian shims are more accurate than the Yamaha shims.

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Will you still be within spec when you use them?

17. Huntchuks

Hopefully. I ordered them sized to bring the gaps to the high side for maximum future wear. Problem is I don't have time right now due to sons furnace/A/C installation and deer hunting. It is also cold.
    Unfortunately they are not marked for size, so I am inscribing the size on the sides of the shims.

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

When you make a shim it should be on the underside and only with a good permit pen or epoxy pen. Away from the lobe....I hope you are not using a etching dremmel or something to mark the shims....They need to be able to turn freely in the shim bucket and if you disturb the metal on the side of the shims it might cause issues. So I hope I miss read you "inscribing" for something else.

I know that life gets in the way of all kinds of stuff, it is how it goes roll with it. As for hunting, yep me too...looking forward to freezing my butt off for some venison.

19. Huntchuks

20211119_092501.jpg
    The shims for the Maxim X are not flat wafers that fit into buckets. They are like an upside down cup with flat top, side, etc. The top makes contact with the underside of the bucket and the cam hits the upper side of the bucket. There is no contact along the sides of the shims and that area is where I am using a vibrating scriber.

20. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

My bad....you are totally right...I call them the pencil eraser shims. Those little suckers are costly too. Good luck and have fun with that.

Huntchuks likes this.