1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Swing arm fit query

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by a100man, Jul 10, 2014.

1. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

When I went to fit the swing arm on the 550 recently I was surprised by the big tolerance on the fit probably 3 mm space between the frame bosses and the arm end caps (total not each side). It squeezed together Ok but I wonder if that was normal. new shims fitted too BTW.

I recently fitted new bushes (advertised as for XS650 but same part number) so it got me wondering if teh 'top hat' rim was the correct thickness..

Cheers

JS

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Oh man you should have sprung for the needle bearing upgrade kit.

You should be fine, "losing" 3mm total tightening it all up is no big deal. I wouldn't expect less. If the swing arm moves freely (but not "loosely") then you're fine, carry on.

3. bigfitz52

Oh, and throw a pic of the 'Zuk up in "Other Motorcycles" when you get a chance.

The brochure for the A100 says it's "A Sportcycle with exciting new styling to make sprinting around town more exhilarating than ever before."

Is it really? Have you done any "sprinting around town" on it? And??? Were you "more exhilarated than ever before?" I wanna see a pic. I love small-bore bikes.

4. a100man

Hi BF

Yes you're right about the needle bearing kit. Couldn't find one here - well not for a reasonable cost anyway. Now of course I find that the pivot sleeve on mine is worn too far..

Too be honest it's all stuff I will tackle once I eventually establish what's missing from my pile o' parts. Belive it or not my current puzzle is the headlight brackets.. I've got them but I'm sure something is missing as I can't see how the hell to mount them..

.. oh yes posted a link for some pics of the 'Zuke' and it sure is exhilerating over the mountain circuit ...
    Best

J

5. bigfitz52

About the headlight brackets:

The upper "ears" go on the bottom of the cluster mounts, the nuts on the cluster mount bolts trap them. The stock configuration is a nut and washer; I replaced them with flared nuts so as to not have to fiddle with the washers.

The bottoms bolt onto strange little three-eared brackets bolted to the front of the triple tree that support the headlight ears and the horns.

The little brackets are parts Ref #23 and #24 in the "front fork" section of the fiche; they're referred to as "horn brackets." http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempart ... front-fork

There is one long bolt on the bottom that goes through the brackets, through the "tubes" on the headlight ears, and through the adjusting flange on the bottom of the headlight shell which gets trapped between the two tubes. See the "steering" section in the fiche: http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oempart ... c/steering

If my explanation doesn't make sense, I can get a couple of pics for you. PM me with an email address unless I have it already.

6. a100man

Hi BF

Thanks for the links - much clearer than on CMSNL where i usually look. Will also check my horns to see if any of the brackets are still attached..

My nuisance poblem is visiting my parts which are all at my brothers place 6 mile away..

Cheers

JS

7. greg_in_london

greg_in_london Member

@a1100man

Give me a bell on 07956 026 365 if you're likely to be anywhere near London soon. I'm going to be clearing out a garage soon and have an XJ550 rolling chassis I'll be throwing out. I don't remember what headlamp mounts it has, but whatever is there, it's holding a headlamp.

Greg

8. a100man

Greg - sure will do..

Cheers

James (A100man)

9. Rodney Watson

Rodney Watson New Member

Do you have a source on the needle bearing upgrade? I just pulled my swing arm bearings out and the right one is dry as a bone, and the race has serious wear marks. Looks like some OP put white lithium in it. Thought I'd take the opportunity to upgrade if I can find some. Thankfully, I have never ridden this bike. Just bought her as a project to see me through the Alaskan winter.

Bike is an '83 Seca 750. Also, when I'm done, I will be posting most of the body panels and the massive front fairing for sale if there is any interest.

10. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

The post you're quoting is specific to the chain drive 550's with a conventional swing arm originally equipped with bushings.
    Your 750 Seca already has bearings in the swing arm. There is nothing to upgrade beyond replacing with a new bearing.

k-moe and Rodney Watson like this.
  11. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think there would be.

Rodney Watson likes this.