1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

So why get an XJ600???

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by JohnV, Nov 25, 2021.

1. JohnV

JohnV New Member

Hey all,
    I’m new to the bike world- got my license and did the MSF course this year, been practicing on a TR-250, but am saving up for my first real bike.
    I’m eyeing a ‘98 xj600 with low miles and owner has all receipts for work done on the bike. I haven’t seen it up close yet, but apparently carbs need to be cleaned soon.

In my research(according to online motorcycle articles)I’ve heard that older xj600’s need to idle a bit before riding, also I’ve heard about being wary of stripped idler gears if the bike wasnt well taken care of…?
    Other than that, a lot of folks say it’s a great first bike to own and learn on.
    I’m also looking at a nighthawk 750, and zephyr 750, but I feel more “pulled” to the ‘98 seca 2.
    I’m somewhat mechanical inclined, but don’t have a ton of time since I’m a Dad of 3 kids.
    I haven’t found a whole lot online as far as reviews go…
    I wanted to hear what you guys love about this bike- your experiences, anything I should be wary of, etc.,
    Thanks so much for your time!
    -John

2. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

3. JohnV

JohnV New Member

Thanks!
    I’ve checked out xjrider, but I wasn’t sure where to post my question. I’ll look some more.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

All carbed bikes need to warm up before riding. The process of warming the engine does not put any extra wear and tear on any of the components. I have no idea what you mean about stripped idler gears, that isn't a thing that can occur with any gear excepting in a non-synchro manual gearbox when the operator dosen't know how to double-clutch.

5. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Loads of these in the uk - known as a reliable commuter bike, if not the quickest off the block. Bit of a Ducati look about them, if you get a red one...

6. JohnV

JohnV New Member

Thanks guys.
    In regards to the idler/ starter gears getting stripped- I’ve just read in multiple articles that if the petcock has been leaking and potentially floods the cylinders, then this can happen, and fixing it is a major operation- requiring the crank case to be split.
    That’s just what I’ve read- I have no idea. If it doesn’t ring a bell, maybe it’s bogus…

7. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

this is something that happens

the idler gear is on the starter, and the viragos also had issues with them

If they get used up too much (starting the bike a lot) the teeth get rounded and don’t catch the flywheel

8. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Get the xj 600 because they look cool.

9. k-moe

This is not at all true of the xj600. It has an entirely different starting system from that on the U.S. Virago. The issue with the U.S. first-gen Virago has little to do with the idler gear directly (which is not on the starter itself), but with the engagement system that was used (which is again not at all the same as on the Xj600).
    The XJ600 is essentially a larger displacement XJ550, and the 550 does not have any unusual issues with the starter sytem.
    On the XJ600 (and 400, and 550 (and 650, and 750, and 700, and 900)) the Starter pinion gear is in constant mesh with the idler gear, and it has a proper starter clutch, which the Virago lacks entirely.
    Your concerns are misplaced, and based on incorrect information.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    hogfiddles and Franz like this.
  10. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

@k-moe i don’t recall saying this was the issue, nor mentioning an xj550, or any of those other bikes…

but I do recall saying the idler gears can get stripped out and rounded, which does in fact happen..

11. k-moe

And yet..the XJ600 uses the exact same starting system as the XJ550, and neither bike has the problem you describe. You did mention the Virago, as I quoted. The remainder were mentioned by me as examples of machines with the same starter system as the XJ600, none of which have issues with the idler gears being damaged in any way.

In any case, there is no reason to not get an XJ600, excepting personal preference.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    hogfiddles likes this.
  12. k-moe

Fir clarity’s sake: the starter clutch can wear and cause trouble, but the chain driven XJs are less susceptible to that problem and far easier to fix as the engine does not need to be torn down for access to the starter clutch.

hogfiddles likes this.