1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Airbox removal

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by wkxj, Dec 19, 2021.

1. wkxj

wkxj Member

Hello Guys,
    It's been awhile. I got a couple bikes to work on. A 82 650 Seca and a 650 Maxim. The Maxim came with the Seca for parts. My question is can I remove the the airbox on either one of these bikes without pulling the engine?
    Thanks Will

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Well why would you want to? The CV cabs on the bikes work so much better with air box attached to them.

So many threads will tell you not to pull them and don't run PODS, but if you must you must.

If the box is not coming out easy and you want to get rid of it, what is stopping you from cutting it out?

I do hope you change your mind and keep the air box in place so the bike will run as the engineers designed it to run.

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. wkxj

wkxj Member

Keeping the airbox. I just need to clean them. Some mice made a home in the maxim airbox and used the air chamber for a toilet. The bottom where the filter is is caked on with who knows what. Very nasty and not in a fun way. The Seca air box is just dirty. I'd like to give them a good bath

Jetfixer likes this.
  4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Vacuum, compressed air and some warm water. You can even get some cheap carb cleaner in there. You will be able to get it very clean that way. I know what you are dealing with, happens in my area all the time. Folks around here keep them in sheds over the winter and that is all it takes to get little critters in there.

So glad to hear you are keeping the air box.

Jetfixer and Simmy like this.
  5. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Both those bikes are difficult to get the airbox out with the engine in place. Unless you're fully restoring I would follow Timbox advice to clean in place.

6. DaygloDavid

DaygloDavid Active Member

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  7. DaygloDavid

DaygloDavid Active Member

Found this video of an XJ650 Airbox,

8. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

9. wkxj

wkxj Member

Thanks for the comments and the video. I will be giving an update soon,

10. wkxj

wkxj Member

The good news was I got the air box out. I did brake off a manifold bolt but those things happen. I did not hold my tongue just right I guess. The air box was coming out nicely and then it cracked where the filter goes. The temperature was in the 40's and I think thats why it cracked. Warming it up a bit would have helped prevent it from cracking I believe.

11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I keep a heat gun in the shop for that and to warm many other items before I start to work on them. My shop is not heated 24/7 so I have to help some parts along before I will work with them.