1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Setting One Carb at a Time

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Antothoro, Dec 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Antothoro

Antothoro Member

Has anybody created a procedure for setting a single carb at a time? I'm envisioning a methodology for hooking up the fuel intake into a single carb.

I'm trying to chase down a flooding carb and proper setting of fuel levels and am trying to into a better groove that does not require the fuel changes in filling 4 carbs, testing, emptying, setting, repeat.

Yes, I understand that eventually I'll need to hook all carbs up and work them together.

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Are you setting the fuel levels with the carbs on the bench?
    With clear tubing attached it's easy to see which of the 4 is leaking and what the level is in each one.

3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I think you'd spend more time trying to prevent fuel from flowing into three carbs vs. just filling four, draining into a catch tray, and pouring back into your test tank. As Simmy mentioned just hook up tubing to all four and let it sit to see what carbs are sealing and which ones are not.

4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Do a bench synch right and set float height at 17.5 mm gets you in the park .

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

set the fuel levels when the rack is dissambled 1 carb at a time.

I have seen athread on this . put carb in a vise set fuel level

or you could just leave bowls off of the carbs you are not setting and secure the floats up so it closes the needle

6. Antothoro

Antothoro Member

As I understand it, the petcock has options for "prime" which allows for a free flow of fuel into the carbs so the bowls fill AND there are floats in the carbs to stop filling the bowls when they are "full".

That being asserted, why do the carbs flood? shouldn't the needle be closed by the floats and no more fuel get into the bowls?

7. Antothoro

Antothoro Member

Yes

I don't find out the carb is flooding until I get the fuel tank attached to it. I'm thinking about getting more tubing and a side tank to setup a more sophisticated setup. Where I can have like the whole tank up high putting pressure on the fuel line. <sigh> too much pressure and it will just leak either way, right?

I'm trying to envision what you are describing. Can you tell me more?

8. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

are all xj's the same float height then, cos he has'nt told us which bike it is

9. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Yes the needle should stop the flow of fuel when closed. They can leak if the needle/seat are worn, the float height is set incorrectly, or the the float is bad. Some bikes have an o-rind around the seat as well that would cause it to flood if bad or missing.

Why? The factory setup is completely adequate and this won't accomplish anything.

He's saying to hook up the clear tubing to the bowl drains and leave the drain screw open, let the bike site with the fuel valve in the PRI position and you'll be able to tell which carb(s) are flooding because the fuel level in the tube will rise over time as it sits. Same technique you use to set the fuel level but you'll use four tubes and leave open for some time.

Huntchuks and Franz like this.
  10. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

fuel level1.JPG
    Here is how I do a wet set.
    If you have a workbench with vice this works best as you can clamp everything level, side to side and front to back.
    There's a small block of wood I drilled a hole through so I'm not clamping on the idle adjustment knob.
    You can see the fuel level in each carb.
    Don't install them until you verify all 4 are sealing.

jayrodoh likes this.
  11. Antothoro

Antothoro Member

This thread was not intended to be year or model specific. More of a generic process oriented thread.