1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

fairing material

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Tjeerd Steenbergen, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Tjeerd Steenbergen

Tjeerd Steenbergen New Member

Good day,

I'm new on the forum, but as I have to spraypaint a XJ900 from 1984, somewhere february next year I thought this to be the best place to ask for a question.
    Many panels do have damages; i.e. cracked mounting eyes, bellypan does have a burning hole from the exhaust, etc. It's not my daily job, but have spraypainted quite a couple a bikes, and do have the required materials to repair fairings made of ABS or epoxy/polyester, but the panels of the XJ are made of something different. I tend to use epoxy for the repairs, but don't like find out after a couple a months the repairs don't last, therefore a material specification would help me a lot (I hope).

Can anybody help me out with the material spec. of the XJ900 fairings mentioned below?
    - cover rear fender 31A-21651-00
    - side cover 31A-21721-00
    - bellypan 42N-28385-00
    - body cowling 42N-28351-00

The material of the side cover, belly pan and body cowling seem visually to be the same.

2. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

they're just plastic , and can be repaired by plastic welding (using a soldering iron) and stitching ,(using copper wire melted across the cracks}
    epoxy or fiberglass could be used for larger holes

3. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Most Yamaha fairings and side covers are ABS plastic.
    ABS glue is easy to get at home centers in the plumbing section. Sheets of ABS are on amazon, you can cut and shape to fill holes and make new mounting tabs.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

OEM bodywork is ABS. Post pics, maybe you don't have a OEM fairing.

5. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

As above.. In UK you can buy 'solvent weld' glue for plastic (ABS) plumbing (sink waste pipes etc..). I've used this plus fibre glass matting for repairs in the past.
    Post again friend so we know you've survived Xmas.