1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

BP7ES spark plugs

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by wkxj, Dec 27, 2021.

1. wkxj

wkxj Member

I s anyone else having trouble finding NGK BP7ES plugs?

2. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The only issue with that version of the BP7ES plug (the #2412 version) is that they have a fixed (non-removable) terminal nut, which will not fit inside the NGK plug caps. The original BP7ES ---- with the removable cap nut ---- caries a different NGK part number. Believe it or not, NGK has many different part number "versions" of many of their spark plugs, all with minor (or meaningful) differences from each other. Why this is done is beyond me, but I'm sure there's a legitimate reason for doing so.....

4. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

All these ones remove easily!
    @chacal
    4148F60C-CA9C-4A9C-9703-90FB68E634E0.jpeg

5. wkxj

wkxj Member

Thanks, I ordered some. I'll see if they will work. It says fixed top nut in the description but they may be different.
    I think NGK might have discontinued the ones we usually use in our bikes. I think a certain country was making fake NGK's but they may work fine.
    edit- Okay I looked at the NGK website and they say use they BPR7ES. I am getting in touch with them to see about the fact that these are resistor plugs' I'll get back ASAP with what they have to say

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  6. chacal

Noahsxj.....well that it odd, the 2412's should have the fixed cap (that's straight from NGK themselves) but who knows what's really going on. Thanks for the update!

wkxj: the "replacement" BPR7ES plugs are resistive (5K ohms) so it present an issue with using the original (ore replacement) resistive plug caps, as it doubles the specified resistance specs for many of the bikes; however, it may (or may not) really make much of a difference in performance.

7. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Maybe specs have changed over time, and certainly manufacturing costs would be lower for non screw cap items.
    I wouldn't use resistor plugs with resistor caps, simply because higher resistance will cause the ht voltage to get higher before the spark jumps. This could break down the tci output stage. I stress "could", but of course we have loads of cheap, spare tci's around - don't we?

8. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

I did visually compare the 22+ year old plug that came out of my virago with the one I ordered from this eBay seller

they seemed identical, although I did not check resistance or ohms

I still have them, I’ll test them both when I get home work

if they are fake, and from this certain country you’re pertaining to, then I must say they are of very high quality!

9. wkxj

wkxj Member

I've been using NGK BP7ES plugs on a 82 Yamaha 650 Seca. I noticed these plugs are being discontinued and replaced with BPR7ES that I believe are a resistor type plug? My concern is that the plug wires caps are also a resistor type and might effect the control unit or the performance of the bike.
    Thanks Will

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. If your bike has electronic ignition and not points and condenser using magneto system, the resistor plugs will be fine with no issues. The only other option would be a non-resistor racing series plug, R5671A-7. The difference is the hex is smaller (13/16” down to 5/8”) and the center electrode projection (center electrode depth into the combustion chamber) is shorter. BP7ES is 3mm and racing plug is 1mm.

So here's what I asked and their response.

10. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

According to NGK's cross reference material, there are several possible replacements for BP7ES from other manufacturers:
    https://ngksparkplugs.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Spark-Plug-Cross-Reference_2019.pdf

In my opinion, it is probably a better idea to convert to resistor plugs and a non-resistive cap (so just a boot, in that case?).

Therefore, the challenge is going to be finding a cap/boot that looks "correct" and will swap out without having to splice plug wires or replace the entire coil or anything drastic like that.

Does anybody have some good ideas for non-resistive replacement caps/boots that will work? @chacal ?

11. Dan Gardner

Also, I may be crazy, but I seem to remember somebody talking about removing the resistors from the caps? Maybe it was on the "what did you do to your Yamaha today" thread??

Seems like some pretty major surgery considering the caps seem to be a pretty solid molded piece of plastic. I would like to see a how-to if somebody has done it.

I may have a bad cap I could experiment with also. If I get anywhere I will share the results.

12. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The longer (inner) caps on the XJ750 Seca had replaceable / removable resistors. The outer caps did not

upload_2021-12-28_14-19-0.png

13. Dan Gardner

OK, I see. I did cut open an NGK cap that tested bad and found the resistor in there. Definitely not going to be doing that to remove the resistor in any feasible way.

14. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

My caps just need a flat head screwdriver to unscrew the sparkplug gripper/resister stopper. Be careful to not lose the little flat disk.

chacal likes this.
  15. chacal

Rooster, is there a technical name for that style fuse?

16. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Resistor, special :)

17. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The original caps had replaceable resistors. They can be removed and brass rod (cut to the proper length) used. Alternatively NGK sells non-resistor caps.

18. k-moe

A look on the NGK website shows that the BK7ES is in process of being superseded. That means there will be a new plug with the required non-resistance spec under a new part number.

A look on Amazon returns this
    https://www.amazon.com/NGK-BPR7ES-SOLID-Standard-Spark/dp/B01DMFHL5Q/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3EC9H9RVQR10V&keywords=NGK+BP7es&qid=1640730977&sprefix=ngk+bp7es,aps,83&sr=8-1

What seems to be a like-spec plug with modern features.
    I'll do some more digging to confirm that when I have time.

Whatever you do, don't pay scalper prices for a BP7ES. There are a lot of profiteers out there who want to make us panic-buy when there is no need to.

19. k-moe

It's just a normal carbon resistor without any wire embedded into it. I seem to recall that you had some in stock. I doubt that anyone is making them anymore.

20. Dan Gardner

On a completely unrelated subject, who needs some toilet paper?

k-moe likes this.