1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ900 Need a running engine

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by calavrider, Dec 28, 2021.

1. calavrider

calavrider New Member

This is my third 900 VIN 1293 and second one with bad starter clutch. First bike work was done at shop in 1990 when bike had about 75000 miles Current bike has 73100 miles was stored correctly and has been on non op for 15 years. I have not found any shops around the Sacramento Ca. area that is willing to take on rebuild of a engine. Shops are busy and do not have enough people to keep up with service.
    Does anyone know of a good engine available? And anyone who is willing to do engine swap and most likely carb clean etc. I would be willing to travel to Los Angeles area or anywhere within 3-400 miles to get this done.
    Thanks for your time

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Cal,

send me private message.... I’d like to get your numbers registered onto your usa Xj900rk database.
    Thanks
    Dave fox

3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

The starter clutch is not extremely difficult to replace, yes case needs split , but no exotic tools are required only parts required are of course a repair kit for starter clutch , side cover gasket, clutch cover gasket . Blue and red locktite, tube of Yamabond, a good set of torx sockets, Allen sockets . I used a wooden pallet which worked great to keep from marring the engine case . Once you get going only takes maybe an hour to split case , even if you only have moderate mechanical skills it is not that difficult. Yes I'm an aircraft mechanic and have the tools to do this task , b

Attached Files:

4. calavrider

calavrider New Member

5. calavrider

calavrider New Member

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I sent you a private messsge instead.... check your inbox

dfox

7. calavrider

calavrider New Member

Thanks for your input. Decades ago I would do this. Now I just ride as much as I can.. I really would like to have this bike running in the garage. I hope it works out.