1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1983 Seca Turbo 4sale

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by 322170, Dec 31, 2021.

1. 322170

322170 New Member

I have acquired a 1983 seca turbo with 8k original miles
    don’t know much about it and would like to sell it

the bike has been sitting so it will need all the usual stuff- new battery - carbs cleaned etc…..

clean title in my name please let me know if your interested. The bike is located in Westfield Indiana and the price is $3500
    Thanks…

2. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

good luck!

3. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

I wish u good luck but it seems awfully expensive for a bike that isn’t too sought after or road worthy

4. 322170

322170 New Member

I thought the Turbo models were highly sought after and especially since this bike only has 8K original miles.

I've seen them sell on the Mecum auction sites for good money and I was also told that Yamaha only produced a total of 6500 turbo 650 models during the 1980's so it's definitely collectible

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Pictures would be good for us to see it....

$3500 is a reasonable price in very good cosmetic condition, excellent running condition, new brakes, fluids, tires, fork seals, valve clearances done, inspected, ready to go. Otherwise, be ready to go way down.

yamaha produced about 6500 in 1982, and about 1500 in 1983. There’s a whole lot more of those than the 900rk.

Also, it’s the middle of winter— not your optimum time to sell high; and a lot depends on location, too....

ymmv,
    Dfox

6. 322170

322170 New Member

Thanks for your comments and opinion

7. hogfiddles

Got pictures?

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to have one of those to see just how much (turbo/fun) they offer. I have not seen them close to the prices I normally buy my projects for. Kinda like looking for a good price project HD, just can't find them around here.

9. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'd be interested in a 650 turbo with trashed plastics. I'd like to try my hand at customizing and never liked the stock look of that bike. :)

10. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

There was a project 14k mile turbo that just sold for 700$ in WI

11. hogfiddles

I got my project one for $200......well, I guess $450, cuz I have another $250 into a parts one .

12. hogfiddles

Looking like what I suspected.....

Newbie shows up on an xj forum figuring that he could post a more-rare bike, and all the xj-freaks would jump right on it. Bang.... a quick sale and get out of Dodge. Only problem is, that WE already know MORE about any of these bikes than any flash-in-the-pan THINKS they know about these bikes.

Reminds me of the time a number of years back when a guy showed to make quick sale of a 900rk—— except it was an xj750rj with a head graft. Boy, did we have a good time with him.... lol

So, if I’m wrong..... then some really good pics of a really nice bike will show up. Til then, I’ll just keep working on the Carb racks on my bench to finish up for people....and do some more cataloging of my bikes, which is desperately needed since I now have 98 XJ’s. Two more, and reach 100.

And, if I’m wrong— then just like Fonzie, I’ll say
    “I’m Ssszzzzzz...I’m SssZzzzzzzz——“

MAS sufferer,
    Dfox

Andrew Nichols and joe elliff like this.
  13. 322170

322170 New Member

Why would I post pictures of the bike to someone like you who only wants to pick it apart and find fault.

I’m not an expert I inherited this motorcycle and joined the forum hoping that someone would be interested in buying this bike and bring it back to life. The price was a starting price and not a final price.

Anyways to be honest with you I wish I would of never joined or listed the bike for sale using this site.

So can the moderator or the manager of this site please remove me and my contact info - Thanks!

Respectfully,

14. hogfiddles

Why? Because people here want to SEE pics of a bike that is posted for sale. We want to SEE it, I don’t know anybody here (or anywhere ) that would pay thousands of dollars for a bike without SEEING it.... and most-likely expecting to hear it run, too..

I don’t recall myself or anyone else wanting to pick it apart and find fault. YOU brought that in. We asked for pics of a bike that YOU posted for sale. So far, all we know is:
    1. You say you have a 650 turbo for sale at $3500.
    2. You say it has a clean title.
    3. You say it has 8k mi
    4. You say “its been sitting awhile so needs all the usual stuff”

That tells is that it’s a non-running, neglected bike that needs about $1,000 put in to begin with. Want to question that? Ok—
    $250 +/- - tires
    $400 - carburetors rebuild
    $150 +\- - fork seals
    $250 - brakes rebuild
    And more.....
    Shim adjustment ( shims, valve cover gasket, donuts)
    Freshen gas tank
    Oil change
    Etc...
    I could keep going but you’d thing I’m picking it apart..... I’m NOT. I’m giving you lifesaving FACT.

That’s why we asked for pics.... so we could HELP you. YOU didn’t give us ANYTHING to go on.

Again, YOU didn’t give us anything to go on, other than “the price is $3500”.

Whatever, that’s fine— nobody forced you to join, or stay, or leave......

I don’t see anything here that requires deleting.

15. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

hogfiddles is harsh, but he's right. Although "rarer" than the 82 Turbo Secas, the 83 Turbo Seca's aren't really sought after items. Now the Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo, that's the ticket, but Yamaha's version wasn't the prettiest, and had pretty weak suspension, frame, and brakes to go along with it's pressurized carbs.

Sure you can boost them to 18psi, but the detuned 650cc engine and extra weight makes them a pig at low speed and they sit pretty high. With the shorter geared 5 speed transmission, other than boosting on an on-ramp, the only real use was highway riding up an mountain, where sustained engine loading really put that boost on tap without super legal speeds (you have to do math over 85mph)!

If you're going to sell it, it's not likely going to a collector, it'll go to someone who will fix it and ride it for the experience of riding an 80s Turbo Wars Motorcycle. Otherwise it'll just rot in your garage/basement/yard.

My story: I bought one that had been sitting for 20 years for $250 in 2009 with 6k miles. Probably had $4k into it (and put 10k miles on it) before selling it in 2020. Now I had repainted it myself a very non-stock Blue and white scheme, but I had also gone through everything on that bike. Never really satisfied with the suspension (I had new rear shocks and cartridge emulators) and moved on to more modern bikes (Triumph ST1050 and BMW K1300S) I gave up and sold it. Got $2000 in total, $1800 for the bike and $200 for the full set of Krauser luggage. A nice journey, but I haven't looked back. I mostly lurk on here to offer advice to other Turbo Seca Owners. Even got an article on Jalopnik (NP or CP) to show for it (it got a 64% NP at $2.5k two years before I actually sold it :D)

16. Andrew Nichols

Andrew Nichols Active Member

I wouldn't even buy a $50 dishwasher without seeing pictures of it first, let alone a $3,500 motorcycle.

17. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    I think he got offended & bailed. I had a conversation with trying to explain our point of reference & he was not buying it, understanding. Oh well.

Timbox likes this.
  18. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

To be fair the XJ classifieds can quickly turn into discussion threads, could be result of winter cabin crazies.
    We should all be mindful that the sale of whatever is between buyer and seller.
    If you're neither than it's not really your place to join in.
    I'm not a moderator and not trying to police anything.
    Complimentary posts may help the seller, derogatory posts may help the buyer.

I was just as curious as everyone else to see the pics ;)

19. Andrew Nichols

Andrew Nichols Active Member

Found a picture ;);)

Attached Files:

Dan Gardner likes this.
  20. hogfiddles

Lol