1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ550 Maxim left hand rear crankcase cover

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by moellear, Jun 21, 2012.

1. moellear

moellear Member

Refer to Clymer manual if possible to help me out even better. Page 71 Figure 12 depicts bolt "A"....

I have a question about what sits on this bolt.

Last weekend both tires came off to be replaced, and I removed the chain for cleaning and lubrication. Beneath the left hand rear crankcase cover there is a rubber guide that sat on this bolt and was sort of "resting" or situated against the left hand rear crankcase cover. To my knowledge it was not fastened to anything and since I removed it with the cover, now I cannot get it to properly sit back in its place without falling over because the portion that sits on bolt "A" has cracked over time. Further investigating, it sits directly below the starter and in place next to the left hand rear crankcase cover...

Are these readily available? I realize this is more of a question for chacal but figured I'd ask the general audience out there. I cannot determine what product number it even is, nor does the manual refer to it at all. Does this have a proper name? <LOL>

To my knowledge, basically this rubber guide just prevents large particles from entering behind the crankcase cover where the chain goes as well. I can snap a picture later tonight if everyone else is clueless as well.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

MWAHAHAHAHA! One of many "mystery parts! It just pushes onto that one bolt head and the "tabbydoodle" engages the edge of the cover. All 550s have 'em (or are supposed to.)

It's Yamaha PN 4G0-15425-00; "COVER, GENERATOR 2" I have a brand new one right here in my hand but no, I won't sell it. I'd post a pic of it in its little Yamaha bag but that would be sadistic. Discontinued long ago by MamaYama.

If Len can't help you, PM me. If Hogfiddles doesn't have one, I can help you track down an NOS one. (Not cheap, but available.)

Or get on eBay. I paid $1.99 (min bid) for my spare. They get passed up because people look at it and can't figure out WTF it is.

3. moellear

moellear Member

Once again Fitz comes at the right moment for me! Thanks man I appreciate it and will look around. You sure you can't sell me your spare one to me for $4.00 ?? You would double your profit!! <LOL>

I've also been in contact with Hogfiddles so hopefully one will show up. If not, I'll make do with the current one but its such a pita to remain in place while putting the cover back on. The small round groove where it just 'pushes onto that one bolt head' behind the starter has cracks and won't stay put. I'll figure somethin out...

For those curious, I snapped a few pics to better illustrate what I meant. Anyone have a spare one willing to sell to me ?!? Help me out folks, please!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ralden96

ralden96 Member

I know this is an old thread but figured it was easier than trying to retype the description. Anyone have one of these they would part with? Thanks.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I will check I t I think I have one or two in my spare parts I will try to check tomorrow morning after I clear away this lovely snow from my driveway you are looking for the plastic cover that goes over the chain on the side cover

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

We also have them available brand new.

7. ralden96

ralden96 Member

That sounds like the piece. Appreciate you taking the time to look.

8. ralden96

ralden96 Member

That may be the direction I end up going. I will take a look at the site. Thanks.

9. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Here you go:

HCP21658 Aftermarket shifter cover rubber CAVITY SEAL, fits into the opening in the upper rear of the shifter cover and prevents oil/grease/crud from being thrown off the chain and front drive sprocket from escaping. Molded rubber “flap” seal perfectly replaces the missing or damaged original. Fits all XJ550, 1985-85 FJ600, and 1984-86 XJ600 Euro engines.

10. ralden96

ralden96 Member

any luck?

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

nope I do not have one

12. ralden96

ralden96 Member

i appreciate you looking.