1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

100 ohm pick-up coil

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bensalf, Jan 21, 2022.

1. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

hi all,
    i am trying to renovate an alternator, to keep as a spare for my 3 xj600's, (1989) , i have a spare good stator winding, but with a faulty pick - up coil, (the pick-up coil wire is run through the same sleeving as the 3 white stator wires)
    i sent for a spare pick-up from ebay , for a xj600 diversion later model, as there aren't any pick-ups available for mine, separate from the stator
    the thing is my pick up resistance should measure 80 to 120 ohms
    the one i got off ebay measures 400 ohms
    although it fits physically, would this damage the TCI if i try to fit it to one of my bikes,
    alternatively has anyone got a 100 ohm pick-up they might sell, (im in U.K.)

IMG_0909.JPG

the one attached to the stator wires is the old damaged one (100 ohm)
    the one at the top is the one for the "Diversion", i think you may call the Seca2 40ohm
    thanks

2. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Bensalf _I've got two 600 motors that I bought cheap for the barrels (although TBF I don't think I managed to slavage a decent set anyway) they might have the pick-ups you're looking for
    or if you fancy a long drive you could collect the whole bottom end.

3. bensalf

hi , a100man, thanks for replying, do you know if the motors are the early ones (with the generator above the starter motor)
    or , the later ones (with the generator on the end of the crankshaft)?
    mine are all later ones, but the pick up wire is run in the same sleeving as the 3 white wires, it would be a shame to split a perfectly good generator
    to salvage a pick-up ,unless the stator is faulty:)

4. a100man

The spares ones I have are all later I think. The 598 motor in my 550 seca is earlier Radian type and so keeps the 'look'. The motors are a distance away from where I live so it might be
    a while til I can dig into one.

5. bensalf

thats fine, i am only building a spare generator, just in case, so thanks for trying,:)

6. a100man

..I got one, at least one. Need to get a better screwdriver that I had to get it off the alternator though.. leave it with me - not forgotten.

7. bensalf

thats fantastic, if you manage it , let me know the cost for part and shipping and i'll sort it
    thanks so much :)