1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 yamaha xj750 almost there fluid reccomendations?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mace gaines, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Mace gaines

Mace gaines New Member

Hey gents, thanks a ton for all the help, i have everything i need to get this bike started, but first i want to change the fluids, i have seen somewhere that when bringing bikes back its best to use sefoam with your engine oil . I have a can handy but i would like to know if its actually useful and if putting some in the gas would be good too. I have o’reileys and autozone in my area. as well as Walmart. Any good recommendations for these options would be good, i am changing everything so i need recommendations for it all. I have the manual but it’s common for me to search the suggested oils and find they are out of production or not available to my area.

thanks again.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

If you cleaned the carbs, and cleaned the gas tank, then there;s no need for Seafoam in the gas until later on when you go to store it for the winter.
    As for oil, Choosing Oil for a Wet Clutch Motorcycle

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

The long answer is here: https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/choosing-the-correct-oil-for-a-wet-clutch-motorcycle.43702/

The short answer is Shell Rotella T4 15W-40.

As far as the SeaFoam in the oil: When I get a new-to-me engine, I always just assume that it has been neglected and that the crankcase is full of schmultz. I will put in about 1/4 can of SeaFoam, warm up the engine, and change the oil and filter. Then put some miles on it, let it go through a few warm-up and cool-down cycles, then do more SeaFoam and change the oil and filter again. Then annual oil changes regardless of mileage. That's my process - haven't blown anything up yet.

If you can, use non-oxygenated (non-ethanol) fuel.

As far as SeaFoam in the fuel: I think the point of SeaFoam or any fuel treatment is to try to keep the system clean. I would not expect a fuel treatment to "fix" a set of carbs that are in desperate need of cleaning. I run a little through once a summer with the hopes of keeping the system clean. Probably pointless, but I do it anyway.

k-moe and Jetfixer like this.