1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

should i buy?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bronco.blues, Feb 12, 2022.

1. bronco.blues

bronco.blues New Member

hello all,i just joined and recently bought a 83 xj 900.non running but there is a 82 xj650 turbo in my local craigslist for sale(tucson arizona) they are asking $500 without a title and no plastics/fairing ect its a roller that is said to run is it something i should buy for parts for my 900? thanks

2. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that there is nothing compatible between the two that you'd want from a 650 turbo, except maybe trying to turbo the 900 (and since you say the 900 is a non-runner, I'd assume you'd want to get it working stock before trying to blow it up). And a non-titled, supposedly running turbo seca is nothing to get excited about. Unless you've dealt with one (I rebuild mine frame up), you won't be able to tell if it's actually all there and all good. For reference, the Turbo I got, non-running (for like 20 years) but with all the parts, spares, and a title, was $250 in 2009.

Someone put an XJ650 Turbo front fairing on a 900 and it looked pretty good, but you wouldn't be getting the plastics.

3. bronco.blues

bronco.blues New Member

That's kinda what I figured, thank you

4. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

@bronco.blues, typically the answer to this question is yes. Like 9 times out of 10.

If you have the apatite for a project, I think @Simmy built a "naked turbo" - a turbo without all the tupperware on it - that might provide some inspiration. It's pretty cool. But no small project.