1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

No key questions and other missing parts.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Wingedwheel, Mar 4, 2022.

1. Wingedwheel

Wingedwheel Member

Good morning guys, new to the forum but not to motorcycles. Saw a deal on FB marketplace that I had to check out. Well long story short it followed me home. 1982 XJ650 Maxim. Price was right so I’m taking a chance. Owner pulled the carbs and during a move lost them so I’ve got to source those. Also there is no key so I would appreciate info on how to release the seat and gas cap unless I can order a new key with the ser#? I’ll have plenty of questions I’m sure but the bike has 004798 on the odometer so I’m pretty sure I won’t have to pull the engine(fingers crossed) thanks in advance for any info. B0FA693C-C13A-4D63-A2AE-2F6E16E90756.jpeg 185658A9-99C8-47C9-97E7-A1577C9041B4.jpeg 6DF94407-4B3E-4B1B-8047-417465070900.jpeg

2. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

The 'gas cap' can be picked quite easily - I did it on mine when I lost the key - the seat's probably the same - google 'DIY Bogota Rake' and if you have a grinder and an old hack saw blade you can make one. It's fun.

Good luck

cds1984 likes this.
  3. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

There is a code on the bottom of the ignition switch assembly that can be used to cut keys.

4. Dan Gardner

Here is how I have used an inspection mirror to read the code:
    key code.jpg

Andrew Nichols and chacal like this.
  5. Wingedwheel

Wingedwheel Member

Awesome Dan, that’s what I was looking for. Thanks

6. Wingedwheel

Wingedwheel Member

Ok so I got the code, took it to a lock and key and had a key made, problem is it doesn’t work. The locksmith told me it wasn’t the right code but there’s not another one. I’m going to have to assume the key is cut wrong? CE9FEA7A-C6C0-44A4-AC2F-F5171EF24CC5.jpeg In any case I picked the seat lock so I was able to remove the seat and tank. Did a little cleanup and basically just seeing what’s there. 5F87537B-7A3E-4DEF-83B6-0AADE4047699.jpeg E5958D2B-D088-4583-8A3D-052E2D7E807F.jpeg 04C4D9DD-6B7F-40CE-89B9-582EF786A6B9.jpeg
    I also pulled the plugs to see what the cylinders looked like and they looked great! image.jpg

7. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Airbox looks like it was used by a chipmunk or mice.

8. Wingedwheel

Wingedwheel Member

I would say so I vacuumed all the shells out and got the box wiped out. There’s going to be a lot of cleaning the next few weeks.

9. Wingedwheel

Wingedwheel Member

I had a guy I know offer me a set of carbs off an ‘86 XJ700. Will those be compatible?

10. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Not really.

11. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    A bit of a hassle but you can pull the ignition switch out and take it to your locksmith and let him work from there. I guess not as big a hassle as not having a key.....
    Oh, where are my manners, Welcome and Good Luck!

StarGeneral likes this.
  12. Wingedwheel

Wingedwheel Member

Thank you for that information. I’m still searching the threads for more info.

13. Wingedwheel

Wingedwheel Member

I managed to locate a set of carbs off a ‘81 XJ650. Can I assume those would work?

14. Dan Gardner

Yes, they should work. You only need to be aware that the 81 Maxim did not have the YICS system, so I believe they were jetted slightly different. Not a big deal, bring the jets from the old rack or get some new ones.

All the data and everything you ever wanted to know about what jets on what models can be found here: http://xj4ever.com/catalog/c-hitachi.html

15. chacal

16. Jeff Witt

Jeff Witt New Member

The helmet lock is easier to remove to bring to a lock smith than the ignition. Just don't forget to put the lock back or your bike will soon be missing the helmet lock like mine. :)

17. chacal

Helmet and seat locks are very rudimentary types of locks, and I don't think that you can use it's cylinder type as a guide for making a key that will also operate the main switch.

18. Wingedwheel

Wingedwheel Member

Yep exactly what I did however I’m going out of town this week and might not get back over there. 36283557-32C5-4137-BE2E-A4D0EAAF031B.jpeg
    I was also able to pick up a set of carbs off an ‘81 that will be here tomorrow. DFC4E45C-F172-4784-BDC2-518ECCCA6463.jpeg

19. Wingedwheel

Wingedwheel Member

I had a busy morning. Took the helmet lock back to the locksmith today. There was a different guy there and he read the wafers and compared it to the code I had. Said he had no idea where the other guy got his code but the first key was wrong so he cut a new key, cleaned up the core for me re-installed it in the mechanism, no charge. I thanked the guy went home and tried the key in the ignition with it working no problem. The tank however was a different story. It felt like there was something keeping the key from going in so back up to the locksmith I went with the tank. He picked the lock and went into the mechanism to release the core from the lock. I understand the principle of the retaining wafer but not how to get at it. He went under the cylinder o-ring and worked at it until he got the tab to release. Said it was stuck from sitting so he cleaned and lubed it and re-installed everything. While I was there I asked for a second key so two working keys for all three locks, over an hour of the locksmiths time and he charged me $22 because he said it was fun working on something you had to actually figure out. FE842E5B-5EB8-49D1-B132-6D71AC79BE33.jpeg
    while I had the tank finally open I was able to get a much better look in there also. It looks pretty clean and what little bit is there should clean up easily. 0DBB080B-5F8F-427B-8A52-1E06CEAD0CCA.jpeg E7787B97-084B-4CF4-ADD0-E499F3E4088B.jpeg
    The set of carbs I bought showed up today as well and although they reeked of gas varnish(as was expected) they weren’t too bad. I’ll have to do a little more reading on those before diving in. I’m no stranger to carbs but I want to learn a little more about this set. 86CA0D18-F3BA-4572-9776-351B5CB1447D.jpeg 289074FA-54AA-4FAA-B907-92F76D80CC09.jpeg 08F77B9D-9432-477F-8261-13A4352C5459.jpeg

jayrodoh and JetmechMarty like this.
  20. Wingedwheel

Wingedwheel Member

First thing I did just for that reason….

Jeff Witt likes this.