1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

REG/REC Wiring Question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by XJ650SECATAY, Mar 24, 2022.

1. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

Hello,

I am rewiring my 82 xj650rj using an mo.unit and I am a little confused with rewiring the reg/rec. It has 7 wires (3 white, 1 black, 1 red, 1 brown, and 1green).

Here is how I think it should be ran:
    • Red: battery positive
    • Black: ground
    • Green/w/w/w: to alternator
    • Brown:to alternator
    I just want to confirm that this is correct. Attached some pics below just in case. :)

IMG_20220324_205109.jpg PXL_20220325_022858298.MP~2.jpg

2. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Brown is your 12V fused power after the ignition switch. Basically it's the main 12V wire for the whole electrical system. It's an input to the Stator and Rectifier/Regulator.
    Green is a signal from the R/R to the Rotor. Important that while technically this is an alternator, it's helpful to think of the individual components (Stator and Rotor). The R/R adjusts this voltage to change the magnetic field strength of the rotor, changing it's output.
    White wires carry A/C voltage from the stator. Black is ground, and red it battery terminal voltage, what the R/R actually feeds DC voltage to.

Also important to note that while the R/R measures voltage on the brown wire, it charges the battery on the red. So if there's resistance in your harness or connections between the battery and switch, you can over charge the battery (if the brown wire has a signifcantly lower voltage than the red)

Consider at least re-pinning all connectors involved in the charging system to avoid melting connectors when the resistance is too high at the terminals.

Rooster53, XJ650SECATAY and Franz like this.
  3. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

This is extremely helpful, thank you for the explanation. I plan on re-pinning everything, as there was no harness when I originally bought the bike, but I will have to pay extra attention to the charging system as well during the re-wire.

Any specific order in which the white wires need to be connected?

4. ManBot13

No, white wire order doesn't matter. The resultant a/c current gets rectified the same way since they are 120 degrees out of phase.

XJ650SECATAY likes this.
  5. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

Are you available to help me with the igniter unit as well? From what I can tell from the diagram:
    • The big connector (G/Y, O, B wires) connects to the pick up coil and B/W wire from the same connector goes to side stand relay
    • Smaller connector (G/Y, O, R/W wires) connects to coils and R/W goes to coil and branches off to starter circuit cut-off relay.
    My question is: what if I am bypassing the starter circuit cut-off relay due to having an m-unit? How does the igniter unit receive power? I believe it is from the R/W wire, but it needs to be switched power correct? How should this be connected in an m-unit system? Little confused on this one. Thanks for your help in advance!

6. ManBot13

Sorry, I don't have any experience bypassing the starter circuit cut-off relay. Hopefully another member can help. I just did a whole lot of work on charging system.

XJ650SECATAY likes this.
  7. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

No worries. Thanks for your help!