1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj650

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Dode Brigham, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Dode Brigham

Dode Brigham New Member

Hi all,
    I just bought an Xj650 maxim but the tank has a leak, are there any other tanks that look good and has a decent fuel capacity?

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Welcome Dode. The answer is yes, but. Yes the xj650 seca tank fits, but your seat won't fit then...
    And the seca tank will be as old as the maxim tank, so that might leak as well.
    My suggestion would be to drain, remove and clean out your tank, to see what its like inside generally. Remove the petcock (need jis screwdriver, not phillips), make a blanking plate up and put some nuts and bolts in the tank. Walk around shaking it until your bored out of your skull. See what comes out. Then look at soldering the pinhole(s). Its likely at the back just off the seam? Then you can touch up the paint and refil. There are coatings you can apply to the inside as well which have been around for years.

3. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/fuel-tank-interchange-information.109290/

That is a link in the Technical Chat section of the interchangeability of the various tanks and models they came from that @hogfiddles but together awhile ago. And I agree with @Minimutly that it likely will be just as cost effective to evaluate and repair your tank as to find another that does not leak. If you have a radiator repair shop that will do the job for you that is another route to take. Good luck which ever way you go.

4. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

If you go the repair route and want to apply a liner, I recommend the Caswell stuff: https://caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

I would say it really depends on how bad the hole(s) is(are). Just a couple pinholes? No problemo. Solder them up, put a liner in, and off you go. Much more than that and you might have a bad time, but maybe you could find some radiator shop or someone to fix it - if you're not a welder yourself.

Unfortunately, it may be hard to assess how bad the holes are until you get rid of the rust.

Like @Minimutly said, the best way to go about it is to first remove the chunks using nuts/bolts/drywall screws to do some abrasion on the inside. Once you have all the chunky stuff out you can think about using a chemical rust remover, some acid, or electrolysis to really clean it up.

Tidbit 1 - the blanking plate @Minimutly is referring to is to cover the hole where the petcock goes. It is nice to have a steel plate to block it off, but it is not necessary. A few layers of duct tape will work just fine. Can also use duct tape on the filler opening.

Tidbit 2 - when soldering pinholes, I like to use a little JB Weld almost as a body filler to go over the solder and create a nice structural bond between the tank and the solder. I can be sanded down and then finished off with a little bit of actual body filler to make it perfect. As always, max 1/16" filler. Use the JB Weld to fill anything deeper.

If you decide not to repair, please do not throw away the tank in case somebody else might want to give it a shot.

@Dode Brigham - can you show us some pictures?

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

get a 750 maxim tank. It looks better, and gives you another gallon capacity.

First82maxim and Noahsxj like this.
  6. First82maxim

First82maxim New Member

has anyone tried fitting a 1985 xj750 tank on a 1982 xj650 frame ? found one at a u-pull-it yard for a killer price just not sure if it will fit and don't want to make the couple hour drive both ways to find out i cant make it work. i have a seca tank mounted up right now but my seat does not fit and i want to safety the motorcycle before i start with the custom seat/fender

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Tunnel dimensions are incompatible, grommets/hooks are different diameters, lengths are different.

if the tank is in great condition, though, but it and flip it.