1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New guy from Oregon - introducing my new ride with my odd huge seat... and oil leak...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by noah scott, Apr 12, 2022.

1. noah scott

noah scott Member

Just picked up a 1982 XJ750.
    it's going to need some work... but I went in for a project, so it suited me just fine - I daily ride a Suzuki Savage and tend to mess around with it often, and as it's my daily, it got rough trying to do stuff and rushing to put it back together...

Need fork seals, carb rebuild, speedo cable, tires, petcock, fuel lines, etc... etc... etc.. and a whole lot of elbow grease - there is a good chunk of rusted bolts that'll get replaced as the time goes on during this project. The guy picked it up that i bought it from as a fun project, but he lost interest pretty quickly after replacing some brake parts.

After taking it apart a bit and looking at it more when I got home... i'm VERY surprised to find the gas tank only has a really small spot of rust inside... the rest is bare metal.

and also, this REALLY odd huge seat... i've never seen one quite like it in my searching, it's ugly as sin, but my god, it's super comfortable... it looks miscolored, but i was just cleaning part of it and wasn't dry yet.

----- Just realized i cannot post pictures until i get a few most posts, so i'll update here in a bit

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Noah. You can post pictures after five text posts.

noah scott likes this.
  3. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Welcome to the party @noah scott ! It is really nice when you can have more than one bike and they try to make sure at least one of them is operable at any given time!

Andrew Nichols and noah scott like this.
  4. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Welcome to asylum! And congrats on the new to you XJ. Regarding the seat, my thoughts are you can't see it when using it & comfort trumps looks. Just try riding on pretty but uncomfortable seat.

noah scott likes this.
  5. noah scott

noah scott Member

Alright, looks like it'd been sitting for so long the starter was stuck... In the process my the petcock went wild and drained to cyl 1... Took the plugs out and hit the starter and had gas spitting out..
    Now to change the oil, get some starting fluid and see what happens!

6. noah scott

noah scott Member

20220411_192707.jpg

And on a promised note... Here is my giant ass pad

7. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    You are right, that seat is funny looking. I would guess home made but seemingly well made. A few hours down the road on it and you will appreciate so much more. Does that "muffler" have a baffle in it?

8. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes when you are checking for fuel in the cylinders better removing the plugs and the left crankcase cover initially and rotating the crank anticlockwise with a 19mm spanner, just watch the pickups don't get damaged.

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

not a stock seat cover
    looks like a lot of padding was added which is good as the seat gets old and uncomfortable

10. noah scott

noah scott Member

Probably not going to keep it forever, it just makes the bike look odd, but it sure is comfy...

Ended up taking off the exhaust, intake/carbs and the plugs and letting it crank over a bunch, everything is pretty cleaned out now.

Sure does, it's a full vance and hines exhaust, albeit a bit rusty in the back - the rest of it seems good, just some surface rust - not sure how i'm going to tackle removing the rust, but probably a giant tank and electrolysis with just the tip in... dont wanna soak the baffles.... or a wire wheel and high temp paint.. who the heck knows... or ebay and a stock system.
    I have a spreadsheet going of everything I need to get it road worthy, after the carbs it's about $1500 (tires, new rear suspension, forks, brakes, steering bearings, turn signals(one is broken off), etc)

20220411_195848.jpg

11. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I have one of those V&H exhausts - it sounds so much nicer than stock. I would try to keep it.

12. noah scott

noah scott Member

I'd love to, but have some issues.
    - road clearance is pretty minimal
    - due to the road clearance, the PO smashed exhaust on port 1... after finding that, i cut open the exhaust and smashed it back to a circle mostly (put in a large socket and hammering it) welded it back shut... so hopefully that should be good enough,. but due to it being really close to the ground, it's been scraped a lot, and rusting via the coating coming off. so we'll see :) it looks terrible in the shot, but it's pretty circular, photo is just to show where it was.

Just ended up ordering a set of Murrays Carbs... was going to clean mine out, but with the fact that these carbs are getting old and stuff like diaphragms are getting harder to find, i just decided to get his carbs, so less to worry about.
    I have one on my Savage and absolutely love it. It wasn't much more than getting everything i would, need for a rebuild and tune (colortune, vac sync, cleaning, carb kit, etc)

This way i can make sure it all runs, then get stuff like the fork rebuild, tires, brake rebuild, etc.
    Here is a screenshot of my spreadsheet currently -
    spent about $950 so far and i've not even heard it idle yet o_O:D (Carbs are enroute)
    2022-05-10_9-16-04.jpg

20220414_155425.jpg

13. noah scott

noah scott Member

And on a fantastic note... It's first start!
    Long way to go, but this is what I wanted to see before I got too far.

Murray's carbs to the rescue!
    I have a valve shim on its way to adjust one out of spec shim.

And as I don't want to use the maxim tank as this won't be running for awhile, leaving gas in there and such... It's my daily rider, Suzuki savage tank as an aux tank! Haha

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  14. noah scott

noah scott Member

And a few revs, cuz why not

Dan Gardner and Andrew Nichols like this.
  15. Roast644

Roast644 Well-Known Member

The spreadsheet is amazing and completely frightening at the same time! I think there's a mathematical expression where a certain level of project forgetfullness is required with increasing costs.

Nice job getting it running!