1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XS400 1976-83

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Have a good friend of mine that has a local tire shop. He and his family took a long overdue trip to FL and then had a life changing moment. They fell in love with the area and decided on the trip to move to FL.

As I found this out I went over to congratulate him on his choice and adventure and see if he needed anything. He just looked at me and said "you can have that bike". Well I looked at it and sure was a mess but I thought what the heck. If nothing else I will get her running and have it around to help me remember my friend.

Got the bike home and made sure it had oil, hooked the jumper cables to it and nothing. No ignition...hmm, easy fix as these old bikes only had the three wire ignitions anyway, on, off and park. Hooked a jumper wire and got some starter spray ready.

Opened the air box and I was shocked that there were no mice nesting in a bike that had not been started in 10+ yrs. A few acorns but nothing plugging things up. Cleaned up the area and gave it a try. Sure enough the old gal started on spray.

Pulled the carbs, cleaned them up, new bowl gaskets and back in they went. Should have drained the oil first as I found out really quick that all the gas from the tank was now in the crank area. Yes the bike fired right on AUX fuel tank and then she started to spit oil/gas all over the place. Took care of that with some new oil and the bike runs really well.

The clutch needed adjusting as did the chain. Bent back the rear brake lever and still need a batter for it. Looking for a headlight and retaining ring. The front brake master inspection window is broke but I think I have a spare MC in the shed.

The gas tank is the real reason why I am posting. The left back bottom edge of the tank is rusted through badly. No the seam but both sides of it up to 3". I am trying the JB weld tank sealing patch on it and see if it work. I will also have to do the evapo rust for a week as the tank is really rusty on the inside. I will get some pics on here shortly. Sorry for the book, just wanted to get the work on paper so to speak.

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Nice "fuses" LOL!

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

So far the tank patch is holding. It has been sitting with evapo rust for a few days now. Rest of the bike is doing well. Have all but the headlight and that is coming from ebay. Still thinking of putting some 80/20 tires on it and see if it will be a good trail bike?

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

The new/used tank came in from ebay. Great tank, not the same rear tang that fits the bike but it works and the seat goes back on.

I messed up and filled the bike with the wrong type of oil...just grabbed the wrong gal off the shelf. So now I have clutch slip issues. going to drain the oil today and see if I can put the correct oil in the bike and hope it takes care of its self. If not, clutch work is coming.

Besides that, the bike is running good and thinking of putting some lights on it and a real ignition swx on it. Might have to do the paper work for this bike as well. It is a really nice running bike. Great starter bike.

k-moe likes this.