1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Two bikes could not pass up...Nomad 1600 and Vulcan 800

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

This bike buying and fixing has to stop...lol.

Picked up a 2006 Nomad and 1996 Vulcan 800 on a two bike deal. Going through the 800 now, have it running but still needs some adjusting. PO had interesting fixes for things like spark plug wires.. The gas tank was also nasty, so that will have to soak for a while to eat that rust out. Tires are good and it has some dings and scratches....but it was not the bike I was going to buy.

The Nomad 1600 was the bike I wanted. 48K miles and has the no fuel pump and no spark thing going on. From my reading it is the round relay that cause this to go out. Will see tomorrow if hat is true. Turns over and sounds like a good engine.

The bad...LEDs all over the place. Started to take off the LEDS strips from under the bags, under the tank, above radiator. What a silly mess.

Also has a air horn pump to drive two plastic air horns...Good idea didn't work. Right one was still there under the rear brake lever but the left side was busted. That will all come off and a good Stable air horn will go on the left side to take the place of the air pump.

2. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    My Awesome Wife and a long time riding buddy both remind me every so often that "you can't save them all". Maybe not but we sure can try! I just need to be a bit more diligent about actually getting the saving done. I am not as ambitious about it as you are @Timbox. Congrats and good luck.

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

So here is the Nomad 1600.
    [​IMG]20220109_084832_LI by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Nice wiring issues.
    [​IMG]Wiring mess_LI by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    15 AMP fuse holder that held the fuse that was the issue. I had no power to the fuel pump, or spark from the ignition. This little bugger was the issue. This was after I pulled off all the extra wiring.
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51819630652[/URL]
    [URL='http://[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mX89PN][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51819630652_d834b66b5d_k.jpgWiring_LI
    by Tim Brown, on Flickr']_d834b66b5d_k.jpg[/img]Wiring_LI by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    LED light kit..
    [​IMG]Lenght of kit_LI by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    This may or may not bet the issue with the fuel I have to so some more cleaning and check to see what is seeping.
    [​IMG]Fuel_LI by Tim Brown, on Flickr[/URL]

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Have both the bikes up and running now. I finished off the 800 gas tank flush and installed it on the bike. I added a fuel filter just in case but the Evapo Rust sure does work great if you let it have the time and right temps to work.

The clutch safety swx was broken, so that is now bypassed. The back brake swx had a spring that came unhooked. The other fun thing (not) was a broken seat bolt in the rear fender. I had to remove the back tire and dremel cut the spot welded nut out and spot weld a new one in. Used snow to cool the weld so it didn't hurt the paint on top.

Weather was so nice 37 F and some of the rd was clear, so had to take the bike down the rd. Only about 2 miles but it was fun and the bike runs very good. Funny note on the 800, the oil leak seems to have stopped. I don't know if it was one of those sitting and seals shrinking or what. But the oil is on the top part of the window and no leaking...hope it stays that way.

5. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

Incredible. Total investment???

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

For now $1300 but I think the bonded title will have to happen next. The seller has not sent the titles in the mail as of yet. I have a signed bill of sale but no titles. Bikes are clean so I will give them a call again and see what the deal is. If they don't get them to me within the next few weeks, I will start the paper work and it will cost me $200 for both.

The Vulcan 800 had a messed up ignition, broken speedo cable, bad brakes and missing right side cover. Side cover is the only thing that has not been replaced.
    [​IMG]3 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yep had to go with the bonded paper work route. Just more time and a little bit more money. Both bikes are road worthy and have been set aside for now. Looking forward to taking them down the road....as I would never do that without the paper work.

8. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I love reading your updates, kinda like catching up on Lenos Garage or Coffeewalk on YouTube.

9. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

@Timbox looks like you have the HarborFreight lift as well. What did you do for a wheel chock? Did you use the one provided? (curious, now that I've installed one I bought separately)

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

All 3 of my table have either the HF motorcycle wheel chock or other brand name chock. I can stand on the left side of most any bike and push or power roll them right into the chock. As long as the two floor screws are holding onto the floor it works really well. Then some ratchet straps on to either the forks or bars and you are good to go.

I am not a fan of the "U" bolts on the HF tables. I drill my own holes on the front and rear of the table with a step drill. I have had much better luck with that and the straps stay out of the way of me working on the bike.

If front end work has to be done, I use a floor jack, car jack or ratchet straps from my shed roof.

jayrodoh likes this.
  11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

As of yesterday, the Nomad is now legal! So that is how long it take to do a bonded title in WI.

We had a great weather day yesterday, so I took the Nomad out for a ride. I have to say I am surprisingly pleased with the Nomad. I have tried to find a cruiser motorcycle for yrs that I will like. I have had Magna's, Maxims, Valkyries, Virago's, Shadows and even a Intruder (that I sold yesterday). This Nomad is the first bike that fits me and I fit it.

The smooth feeling of this bike is just wow. The sound with the cobra pipes is nice and not over the top. The agility of the bike is wonderful, easy to move slow or at speed. Sure at low turning speeds you may have to fan the clutch, but most riders know how to do that. The engine is quite, almost vibration free.

Why all the praise, well I have been looking for a long time. I will sometime soon put my butt in the seat of a 2011 or newer Triumph Rocket 3 to see if I can get my power cruiser fix. It will have to have the agility that the Nomad has for me to change, but I love the muscle even more. I will have to find a good computerize.

The Vulcan 800's final paperwork will be here this week. That bike will be sold very soon. Not my thing and way to loud with the exhaust it has on it.

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

The yellow Vulcan 800 found a new owner yesterday. A good friend of mine now has it for his first starter bike. I think it will be a good fit for him and the bike will be great for him.

13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

This yr I found the bike doing something that were not very safe. The steering was not responding as it should. This made me think better replace those steering heat bearings. Good thing I did.
    Here is the bike all taken apart with as much supported out of the way.
    [​IMG]Nomad by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Then when I dripped the bottom of the tripple clamps, I found why I was having a issue. Now these are the new style tapped bearings with a race. I couldn't find any grease on the bearing at all. Top and bottom were dry as a bone or worse as you can see.
    [​IMG]Rust 2 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    I went to pull the bearing off and it separated on me.
    [​IMG]Rust 1 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Rust by Tim Brown, on Flickr

New ones are in and bike is 90% put back together. All bolts have lock tight on them so they will not work lose from the vibration of the V Twin.