1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New bikes

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Jetfixer, Apr 2, 2022.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

So was watching Jay Lenos garage on the new Kawasaki H2 supercharged with 200 horse power . Wow cool bike ...but not for me , too much hp, to tall ( I'm vertically challenged, 5'6" ) and most of all to much money. Here in mid west we are lucky to get 6 months of riding ( I'm a fair weather rider ) having a motorcycle payment for this is more than I would pay. I still prefer my xj comfortable seat height, good riding position ,has good hp and best of all it is paid for . Most new bikes are sport bike and laying over the tank gets tiring and yes have ridin a couple, or are cruiser bikes , this is better for us old folks , but again this is more money than I want to pay and I don't want to pay HD prices . Maybe one day I will buy a new bike but for now satisfied with what I have .

ksigurdsen likes this.
  2. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

You don’t have to go “new” just a little more modern. And sure 200HP on a motorcycle gets a little silly, but 120 HP isn’t all that bad.

Throw in 4-6 piston calipers in the front, adjustable cartridge suspension, aluminum frame with the engine as a stressed member and fuel injection, and for the same weight as an XJ. I sold my 2006 Triumph Sprint ST1050 for$3800 and it almost checked off all the boxes.

I got a used, 2011 BMW K1300S, and it checks off all those boxes and then some. Both of these bikes are in the 500lbs range, and great sport tourers. Sold my Turbo Seca 2 years ago because riding it with the other two was just a chore.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the bike you’ve got (and paid off) but you can enjoy this century’s tech for not too much more money too. It’s not all H2s and super sports out there.

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I guess my point is most dealers only want to sell certain types my local dealer now carries KTM nice bikes but again more than I will pay and too tall for me , I do like the yamaha bolt though . There are ways though to improve the xj, upgrade the front disks , possibly adapt an R6 front forks , anything is possible if you spend the $$$ .

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Bandit 1250S, if you can find it. Not the carb bikes but get the FI and they are great all around bikes. Had mine for yrs. You can add a few things to it and remove some things (secondary flies) and the bike becomes mean. They are not too $$ but trying to find them.

I am in the same boat when it comes to the HD bikes, many of my friends only ride them but for the cost not going to do it. I will have to see if I can find a softail or a Dana in good price range but hard to find. All the bagger bikes are just too big and not nimble enough to make me feel comfortable riding them. Seems the reaction time of the HD's is just too slow after all the yrs or riding metric bikes.

Good luck on the newer bike...I think you would love a newer Bandit.

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

You get 6months of riding???? We only 3-4!!!! Oh wait.... yeah— I guess the other 13 months are for riding snowmobiles......

dfox

ksigurdsen and Jetfixer like this.