1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

relocating choke

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by cg82, Jun 28, 2013.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

This is the same type of enricher that is on the Suzi VL1500LC

2. Diversion

Diversion New Member

I moved mine, but not to under the tank. I've put clubman-style cafe-racer handle-bars to my XJ650 (Seca) 4KO, and the choke kept hitting the tank on full left lock when I was wheeling the bike out of the pits.
    I moved the choke to between the instrument cluster and the ignition barrel, using the left-hand instrument-cluster mounting-bolt (I had to put a slightly longer bolt in).
    I used the cable from an XJ900S, and made a very simple bracket from Al bar, with two holes of appropriate diameter.
    New choke mounted 11nov2016.jpg

Franz and XJ550H like this.
  3. robawf

robawf Member

I ditched the cable completely and put a spring loaded thumb knob on the existing linkage arm. I welded the cable connection up, ground it flush and drilled it out to accept the knob. The choke holds where ever I want it and it's conveniently right next to the fuel petcock.

4. Steve Runquist

Steve Runquist New Member

Can you send photos robawf?

5. robawf

robawf Member

It just so happens that I have my carbs off the bike right now disassembled. I'm putting them back together tomorrow. That would be the opportune time for pictures of the choke set up. I'll post pictures sometime this coming weekend.

6. robawf

robawf Member

It's nothing fancy, real simple. I used a 1/4-20 aluminum thumb screw, a spring and a cut down thread protector. All found in my bottomless junk drawer. It stays wherever it's set at and it was free..... 2017-02-17 19.14.13.jpg
    2017-02-17 19.15.28.jpg
    2017-02-17 19.17.48.jpg 2017-02-17 19.16.57.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  7. robawf

robawf Member

I remembered that I did end up welding the control rod to the lever. As it sits from the factory; its a press fit configuration which becomes sloppy. Ground it clean, media blasted it then shot it with some clear.....

8. Rodney Watson

Rodney Watson New Member

Do you have a picture of this setup? Also, which bike lever? Gear or brake?